HELP! ANYONE bought properties (ANY!) in HOUSTON,TX..??? - Posted by D.

Posted by Bob Eberle on June 12, 1999 at 09:56:34:

Bill there is nothing wrong with your post. Actually I thought is was quite good. The only thing I would have added is take advice from people that are successful. This tax assessor is just a guy with a job, who happens to think he knows everything about real estate, yeah right. There is nothing wrong with that, this country needs all those people out there with their jobs.

HELP! ANYONE bought properties (ANY!) in HOUSTON,TX…??? - Posted by D.

Posted by D. on June 10, 1999 at 15:19:31:

Has ANYONE bought any type of properties,(Houses,land,mobiles anything!) tax liens,or used any type of Real estate Course and been successful at all in HOUSTON??? I saw ONE person who had bought one property…
I had been thinking of buying a book at least on flipping properties,or Carlton Sheets course,as it looks the least negative out of the many…
I spoke with the new tax Assessor here about 7-8 months ago,and he was really discouraging (when I asked him about tax liens,and other,) and called anyone doing it “sharks”,and said “we beleive in HELPING our Houston community,not taking advantage of them”!!! :-\ Very discouraging…made me feel like nothing will work in the Houston Real Estate market…he also said the ONLY properties available to buy or tax liens were the ghetto-type (called “Third Ward” here) and nobody wants to live there though I know all kids of people live there…so SOMONE does!
That statement is also obviously not true if a 20 year old can buy a rental property in Montrose!

Re: HELP! ANYONE bought properties (ANY!) in HOUSTON,TX…??? - Posted by Jim Kennedy

Posted by Jim Kennedy on June 10, 1999 at 22:55:51:

Houston is a fairly active area for creative real estate investing. I am just one of the many full-time real estate investors in Houston. To meet others, check out the Realty Investment Club of Houston (RICH). Go to the REI Club page on this website for contact information. The RICH Club has about 450 members. The general club meeting is on the first Saturday of each month. Coincidently, the main speaker at this month’s meeting spoke about buying tax liens. The club also sponsors four workshops each month for members. In addition to the RICH Club, there are several other smaller groups that meet in the Houston area.

If you would like to discuss general topics relating to creative real estate investing in Houston, feel free to e-mail me.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy

Don’t Listen to Your Tax Assessor - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on June 10, 1999 at 17:14:25:

I don’t know anything about the Houston real estate market, but the ignorance of your tax assessor has prompted me to write.

The tax lien system was instituted by your government. Hence, it is THEY who are creating these “sharks”, as he calls legitimate investors. You’re just following the rules. I suspect that you’ll find tax liens on every kind of property, not just “ghetto-type” housing, as described by your assessor. People from all walks of life and all economic backgrounds can run into financial problems and get behind in their tax payments.

Regarding “helping the Houston community”, that’s exactly what you’re doing. If you don’t pay those taxes, who will? By paying the back taxes, you are helping the Houston community collect taxes that would, otherwise, be uncollectable. And besides, I can guarantee you that if a homeowner failed to pay taxes long enough, your helpful tax assessor would be the first one to file a lien and sell the property to collect on those back taxes…possibly throwing a family out in the streets. What a “mean” thing to do on his/her part.

Finally, if your tax assessor is soooo concerned about homeowners being taken advantage of, let HIM pay those back taxes and everyone will be happy. Well, maybe he won’t be so happy. But, hey, at least he can say that he kept the “sharks” away!

Keep your chin up. The deals are out there.

Tax assessors don’t have to be real estate investors, they don’t have to be familiar with creative ways to purchase real estate, and they certainly don’t have to pass an “altruism test” before they take office.

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Don’t Listen to Your Tax Assessor - Posted by Jack (TX)

Posted by Jack (TX) on June 10, 1999 at 18:26:04:

Bill,

If your unfamilar with Texas, why are you responding to a Texas question?

Spend more time on your career in Arizona and let the experts answer the questions correctly.

Re: Don’t Listen to Your Tax Assessor - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on June 10, 1999 at 22:03:43:

“Jack”,

My real estate career is doing quite well. Thanks for asking.

Enlighten me. What is incorrect in my post?

Bill K. (AZ)