Help, FSBO/ No Calls Coming In From Local Ads!!! - Posted by Dan

Posted by Jennifer(NH) on October 26, 1998 at 09:28:49:

I agree totally. I was advertising a house for sale and received only one call on it. I then moved it under unfurnished apartments and advertised it as a For Rent to Own. I just sold it on a bond for deed for $10,000 down and $1000 a month.

Good Luck!

Jennifer

Help, FSBO/ No Calls Coming In From Local Ads!!! - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on October 25, 1998 at 11:51:13:

We have our house for sale by owner, as the subject line says. We have just started our ad campaign, we have the standard sign up front,sign at entrance to house development and have just place a one month newspaper campaign in the local papers, which goes to four different papers. It runs in every wed/sat paper and on the internet. Last wed was the first run of the ad. We received 2 calls from last wed paper but as of today we have not received any furthur calls, we are suprised that we did not receive calls yesterday (sat’s) paper, thinking more people may read and be out looking at real estate on the weekend. We have checked the paper to see if the ad has been placed and it has.

Below is a copy of the ad for everyone here to see. This is exactly the way it reads:

IMMACULATE S. Whidbey home. Large sunny lot, 3 BD 1 BA. Large garage with room for shop. Close to ferry. Territorial views. Close to schools and shopping. 2725 E Sun Vista Circle, Clinton. $117,999 (Phone Number) Call for appointment.

We have had a couple of market appraisals done, and the value is between 115,000 and 125,000.

We have been told many times whenever anyone has seen the house how nice it is, it has new paint,new roof,basically it is immaculate condition, ready to move into. Has curb appeal, we keep the yard up. We are confused and somewhat concerened. We also realize this isnt the prime time to sell but locally houses are still selling. What could be wrong is our big question and how do we attract buyers.

Any comments,suggestons would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Re: Help, FSBO/ No Calls Coming In From Ads!!! - Posted by MJS

Posted by MJS on October 29, 1998 at 15:42:57:

Hi
Try not using words like immaculate
Then no price let them call for a price
4 different papers = 4 different adds
FSBO, owner flexable, address, ph#
possibly only use cap letters
good luck

Steak doesn’t sell, sizzle does… - Posted by Soapymac

Posted by Soapymac on October 26, 1998 at 13:25:51:

and your ad is just steak.

In your post directly below your ad copy, you list the seeds for the “sizzle.” Face it, your home is in competition with EVERY OTHER HOME OUT THERE in your area. Your ad, while technically accurate, shows the logic of why buyers should look.

Remember this: Buyers don’t buy on LOGIC…they buy one EMOTION… and use LOGIC to justify the buy. (That’s ex-Radio Shack manager talking there.)

The posts below also give you some excellent ideas. Combine them with the seeds you’ve given us, and re-post your ad here BEFORE you put it in the paper.

If it would make US look at your home, the phone will sizzle with leads for you.

Cordially,

Soapymac

Re: Help, FSBO - Posted by John(NH)

Posted by John(NH) on October 26, 1998 at 07:35:20:

Definately think of something different for your ad to
stand out. For starters add the two words “Owner
flexible” near the beginning. What exactly does that
mean? That’s what people will call to find out. It
means you are flexible (not desperate) and willing
to negotiate.

=John

Re: Help, FSBO/ No Calls Coming In - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on October 25, 1998 at 12:31:09:

Stop and think about something. If you were a retail buyer would you be reading the real estate section looking for that one house that would fit your needs?? Or would you call a realtor who could show you 10 houses that would fit your requirements?? My guess is that most of the qualified buyers are currently dealing with Realtors.

My guess is that your ad sounds no different than most of the other ads in the paper. So maybe you?ll get a few calls. Maybe you?ll get some calls from investors, who will want to buy your house for $80K. Or maybe you?ll get some calls from Realtors who want to list your house. I?m not trying to be a wet blanket here, but it?s not that easy. Most of the FSBO?s are unsuccessful in their attempts to sell their own home. Proof of that is a very large industry called the real estate brokerage industry that exists to serve retail buyers and sellers.

The way I get my phone to ring is by offering terms. Lease/option, no qualifying, owner finance, 100% financing, etc. If you?re wanting cash out of your house, you might try 100% financing in your ad. Before you do this call a local mortgage broker so that he can describe these programs to you, and so that you know the credit requirements and other guidelines. I would feature the ?100% Financing? in a headline to make your ad stand out.

You need a hook in your ad to produce calls. And it should be featured prominently in your ad?.not a part of the body of the ad. To this day, however, if I want full exposure for a property that I?m not offering terms on, the MLS accomplishes that?..and also requires a fee.

One other thing. Saturday ads in my area don?t get much response. I like to advertise Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday. I find Wednesday and Thursday generally are good days for calls because people are lining up what they plan to do Saturday and Sunday. I also advertise in the large metropolitan paper?.it?s worth the extra money.

JPiper

Re: Help, FSBO/ No Calls Coming In - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on October 25, 1998 at 20:53:28:

Dan,

Good advice from my good friend JPiper. Let me add a couple of things here.

First off your price of $117,999 is a bit insulting. It sounds like you are not flexible. Why not put the price at $117,500 or $117,900 or even $118,000.

Secondly, I bet your ad is one of about a hundred in your local paper. It’s kind of hit or miss with the buyers on responding. Certainly they are not going to call on all the ads.

Terms sell houses not price. If you need to get all cash I would suggest listing it with a local realtor.

Re: Help, FSBO/ No Calls Coming In - Posted by David Selby

Posted by David Selby on October 27, 1998 at 06:43:02:

Please visit this site:http://homepage.usr.com/j/jrsfin/ and request a copy of the book " How to sell your house in two weeks" it may just help.

David