HELP! - How to handle an inherented 'smelly' tenant? - Posted by Gary

Posted by leapfrog on May 14, 1999 at 13:43:12:

I don’t think it ethical to boot the old fellow! But you might want to have some health inspectors in and when you show them around—they’ll recommend certain things which you’ll have to do—namely sanitize the place—at which point you can tell him he needs to keep the place in healthy conditions OR you’ll have no choice but to give him notice.

HELP! - How to handle an inherented ‘smelly’ tenant? - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on May 14, 1999 at 11:46:33:

HELP!
I’m in the process of purchasing a 4 unit forclosed appartment building in town. Everyone has moved out except for one elderly gentleman whose family lives in the house next door. The previous owner/landlord/tenant apparently didn’t have a NO PETS policy and this old guy has several cats in the ground floor apartment. AND IT SMELLS LIKE A CAT HOUSE ZOO!

I need suggestions fast, on how to get this changed!
Can I enforce a new tenant agreement?
Can I boot him out?

Re: HELP! - How to handle an inherented ‘smelly’ tenant? - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on May 15, 1999 at 09:46:38:

Does the ‘gentleman’ have a lease or is he month to month? When we have such a situation, part of our contract with the seller is that the property be delivered vacant. We are working on a 4 plex now that is inhabited by ONE tnenat … and it is a roach infested dwelling - not due to the owner. Our contract will specify it be vacant so that we can begin “rehab” … his problem.

I am not unsympathetic with the elderly or the less ‘fortunate’. Squalor and filth have no excuse and are a choice. We chose not to permit it in our properties - in as much as we can and do monitor the situation.
Carol