Help in eviction, before I buy!!!HELP - Posted by CGabhart

Posted by ToolBar_SC on October 23, 2000 at 14:43:56:

Have you attempted to make contact with the renter? Sometimes talking to the renter can be more productive than you think. Find out what she needs and why she files these lawsuits. If its something as simple as keeping her apartment in good shape and keeping her rent down, then you should be able to work it out with her (think about using that $5-10K to offset this expense). If, on the other hand, it’s her way of getting attention or getting back at the world, then RUN don’t walk away from this deal.

In either case I don’t see how you are going to get her out, unless she is willing to leave. If she accepts the offer, I wouldn’t give it to her until I got a signed statement explaining everything and that she agrees not to sue you in the future for some contrived misrepresentation. I’d have my lawyer draw up the paperwork. Also she wouldn’t get the money until 30 days after she moved. Of course, I would be willing to pay her moving expenses prior to the 30 days and reduce the amount owed her by these expenses.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

ToolBar_SC

Help in eviction, before I buy!!!HELP - Posted by CGabhart

Posted by CGabhart on October 23, 2000 at 09:36:30:

I have the opportunity to buy a 9 plex for about 150k under value. The big catch is this 1> there is a tenant that the owner told me who is a proffesional at suing landlords. She has lived there for about 5 years and every 6 months she files another lawsuit, the last for 2.3 million!!! She knows all the laws I guess and all the court pressidents (I think I spelled it wrong I mean previous court rulings), she is never late on rent, and is disabled So he cannot evict her or even raise the rent (where I am at a landlord cannot raise the rent or evict for 6 months after being sued by a tenant or it is considered retalitory!). Needless to say this is why he is selling it cheap. He had a buyer who is backing out when the buyer found out about this lady. I would like to figure out a way to get her out, BEFORE I buy this. I think he has offered to pay her to move. (I don’t know how much) I was thinking 5-10K because it would be worth it to get the property. If she dosn’t take it what are some other ideas?? Please give me advice because if I can get this closed I can also buy another of his properties at a great price also???
All the judges know her and she has a file 6 inches thick I am told… Talk about renters rites what a bunch of crap. She sued him for 700 bucks for a overflowed toilet she never called him about and won!!!

HELP!!
Curtis

Re: Help in eviction, before I buy!!!HELP - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on October 24, 2000 at 13:20:01:

Doesn’t this lease have an ending time? I don’t think any landlord has to renew when a lease ends, but Piper is right of course, find out the real info.

Re: Help in eviction, before I buy!!!HELP - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on October 23, 2000 at 20:01:41:

The first thing I would NOT do is run from this deal. We make our money for solving problems…and from the tone of your post I gather that even you are beginning to believe that this issue is not solvable. In fact, perhaps you can use this issue to obtain an even bigger discount.

The key here is your state landlord-tenant law. And clearly, I don’t have a clue what it is. But there has never been a tenant alive that couldn’t be given notice or evicted upon not leaving. It’s just a question of how.

I’d spend a little money with an expert on the landlord tenant law. A couple of hundred bucks to obtain a $150K discount sounds like good odds to me. Find out the in’s and out’s of your law. In fact, what may be called retaliatory for the existing landlord may not be for you. YOU have no prior relationship at all with this tenant. Giving her a notice the day you buy might just take the winds out of her sails.

$10K to make her leave? That would be way down my list of things to do. Go talk to a lawyer first. Then go from there.

JPiper