Help on screening (potential) tenant backgrounds - Posted by ray

Posted by Frank Chin on June 18, 2006 at 08:37:09:

Ray:

The one I use is:

www.atshome.com

Check out the reports they provide and pricing etc. BUT when selecting a service, make sure they cover “your area”. They’re OK for NY and NJ.

Do a google search, check with your REI club etc to see if there’s any in your area.

BTW, I got a “clean” credit report on a tenant, but a 6th sense tells me something isn’t right. Around the third call saying “got another question about your credit report” did the wife blurted out, “I thought the credit repair service cleaned everything up”.

Well the service did a good job, so we saw nothing, but actually had questions on their prior addresses. So we asked them if they can tell us “what problems did the service had cleaned so we can tell them if IT WAS DONE RIGHT”. They fell for it, and told us about all the problems they had.

Frank Chin

Help on screening (potential) tenant backgrounds - Posted by ray

Posted by ray on June 16, 2006 at 10:36:24:

Hello - can anybody suggest the BEST website for tenant screening, including dead beats, criminal and so forth. We are interested in unlimited use during the membership term, say, of 3 to 5 years (or more), if available.

We have looked at NetDetective, but didn’t see anything for deadbeat renters there. Looked at other sites but couldn’t get multi-use license at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray

Re: Help on screening (potential)… - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 18, 2006 at 07:09:20:

Ray:

I subscribe to a local “tenant screening” service, and I order reports, including credit, evictions, bad checks, criminal background, employment etc. They other package deals where you pay a certain price for a group of them. I never heard of one doing it for “unlimited use”.

I myself personally interview the applicants, watch them fill out the applications, so I was able to weed out many undesirables since a lot of stuff can’t be gleaned from reports.

Frank Chin

Rental associations - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on June 16, 2006 at 11:42:01:

Our several rental associations (Landlord organizations) here in Puget Sound are what savvy LL’s here use to screen tenants.

So if you have one in your area, look into its benefits.

Re: Help on screening (potential)… - Posted by RAY

Posted by RAY on June 18, 2006 at 08:15:59:

What is the name of the service you use and contact info?

Thanks for your help.