help - Posted by Chris

Posted by Brent_IL on February 18, 2002 at 11:05:29:

nt

help - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on February 17, 2002 at 19:01:34:

I am 21 years old and trying to make some money. I am trying
to get into the real estate thing for a hobby but I don’t know where to start, somebody please give me some ideas.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: help - Posted by BJ_AL

Posted by BJ_AL on February 18, 2002 at 04:14:50:

Chris, I do not want to sound mean or uncaring, but…the people that communicate back & forth on this ‘great information board’ are not doing this ‘for a hobby’!

They are very serious and sincere about their REI! This is a wonderful way of providing many an exciting and worthwhile way of making an outstanding living & providing a faboulous ‘Finanacial Future’!

So, if you are serious and really want to commit your self to this very rewarding way of life, I would suggest a very good & logical way of ‘getting started’ would be: READ ALL INFO PROVIDED BY THIS SITE, read all the ‘posts’ on all the different sites, read all the ‘Success Stories’, the 'How-To Articles, etc.

Read & learn as much as you can, so that you can get an idea maybe of a particluar area of REI that you want to start ‘focusing’ on. Their are so many different areas, that before I would suggest you buying any REI Courses, get an idea of ‘where’ you want to start!

REI, is like anything else, it takes knowledge, committment, determination, persistant, focus, and last, but not least…ACTION! So now that you know what to do, & how to do it…Just do it!

Best of luck with your ‘smart investing’

Not mean or uncaring at all. - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 18, 2002 at 11:02:35:

The fact that BJ responded indicates his willingness to help.

I’ve noticed that some folks take personal offense when the reply isn’t what they were expecting. I?m not addressing anyone in particular, but most newbies do not realize that being advised to study some more before making a RE purchase is not a put-down. The advisor is trying to save them from disillusionment and embarrassment, as well as from a potentially devastating financial loss.

There is a lot of bad and/or outdated information available; much of it is for sale. Many of the methods used to acquire property forty years ago don’t work very well now. How can one judge their own ability to use an approach or technique without experience? Or decide if the approach is relevant?

I appreciate BJ’s council. I’ve come to understand that I am doing a disservice to the questioner when I tell them how to structure a deal when it is obvious to me that they don’t know the reasons behind the plan. All I’m doing is expanding the manner in which they can get hurt in ways that they never dreamed were possible

I believe this was a post based upon care.