Help! - Posted by Colby

Posted by Steve Nettles on March 29, 2002 at 11:21:54:

Good Advice LJ. How are your efforts coming along - have you made any purchases ? Like you I am very new to this also. Somedays this whole thing really confuses me. Steve

Help! - Posted by Colby

Posted by Colby on March 27, 2002 at 10:08:50:

I’ve been doing this for one month. Distributed 1000 business cards, in the middle of a six week penny saver ad. Not one call! How can I make money is this business if I can’t get anyone to call me? I can’t spend my whole life and savings on something that won’t produce. I can’t stand my job. I was put on this planet to work a dead end job? How do people exceed in the business? What I’m I doing wrong?

Try different things - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on March 28, 2002 at 14:16:32:

Marketing is the very beginning in this business, I think. I purchased Richard Roop’s program and I think it’s good. I talked to him in convention and pick a lot of his brain, which I know is gonna save me tons of money and time. I am gonna implement some of his ideas to my “marketing campaign”.

Marketing can be cheap or expensive, you have to define it. Just ask yourself - Who are you trying to catch the attention? Are you talking to the wrong group of people who got your 1000 business cards?

Try Richard Roop’s newsletters. Those are back issues and they are free to you. I read them all, even I haven’t decided if I want to subscribe the newsletter.

http://www.resultsquick.com/custom/index.cfm?id=1159&CFID=248980&CFTOKEN=750

If the link doesn’t work, go to http://www.resultsquick.com/home.cfm and click on Real Estate Investors.

According to Richard Roop, he sends out 6,000 postcard a month and spends $20,000 a year on real estate courses and seminars. Can you imagine a successful person like him even pick other people’s brain like this! You can see how he implement new ideas on his marketing campaign, like what you do if your buyer has no money down.

I am not trying to sell Richard Roop to you or anyone. I think he was a marketing director or something for 10 years. He has articles on this CREI website in How To section. This tells you his knowledge and experience is recognized by more experienced people in this fiels.

There are other marketing gurus around. You have to find out what they do differently than you do.

RR

Re: Help! - Posted by Ron Coultas

Posted by Ron Coultas on March 27, 2002 at 17:33:16:

Networking - is one key to finding deals - talk to agents, go to investor club mettings…

Advertising - Crapshoot - you never know when or where it is going to work - it’s educated guessing.
Do you have a sign on your own car? That’s a rolling billboard that many don’t use.

Be patient and keep trying - talk to people everywhere - one day someone will surprise you and tell you about their friend or relative that is having trouble. Good luck

Re: Help! - Posted by Scott OKC

Posted by Scott OKC on March 27, 2002 at 13:02:18:

Marketing (getting people to call) and sales (what to say to people when they call) is the life blood of this business. You already know this. You need to be patient and try a number of strategies if what you are doing isn’t working. Test market the following approaches:

• put your add in the daily paper. EVERY day. yes, it’s expensive, but a lot more people read the daily paper than the thrifty nickel.
  • try some bandit signs in particular areas.
  • print up some fliers and post them everywhere you go.

The trick is, keep very close attention to where the calls are coming from.
Employ some faith and spend some money!

Re: Help! - Posted by LJ

Posted by LJ on March 27, 2002 at 12:23:56:

You are right, you can’t make money in this business, and you were put on this planet to work at a dead end job.

Okay now settle down. Now I am a new investor of about six months and I haven’t spent houndreds of dollars on courses or books. But I think that you are going about it all wrong. Come on now a penny saver ad and distributing junk mail. You have to get out there in the trenches, put your ear to the ground, talk to people who know things that you don’t, etc. To me this business requires work not just setting around waiting for the phone to ring, you have to get out there and make things happen. This investing has to consume you. You ask “how do people exceed in this business ?” How do people exceed in any business ? HARD WORK!! What are you doing wrong , to me you are not doing anything at all but waiting for your phone to ring. Stop watching late night infomercials. Do you really think that it is that easy. Sure there will be times a deal will drop in your lap, but come on, you have to make it happen. If I can do it I know you can do it too, anyone can do it. My advice is to get out there in the trenches. This means drive, walk, ride your bike around the neighborhood, just observing. Read the real estate section of your newspaper. Talk to people, find out what is going on in your community. Just don’t give up, roll up your sleves , put on your hard hat and get to work. First learn the rules and then life is nothing but a game. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Good luck
LJ