HELP!!! PROPERTY MANAGERS SPOILING DEAL! - Posted by Robin

Posted by Del-Ohio on October 17, 2003 at 20:46:54:

You can ask your agent to set up a meeting with the owner and his agent. We have done this already to get mulotiple issues addressed and resolved at the same time.

Del-Ohio

HELP!!! PROPERTY MANAGERS SPOILING DEAL! - Posted by Robin

Posted by Robin on October 17, 2003 at 19:38:19:

Can anyone please help me out here with any suggestions? I put in a contract on a 4-plex in Florida. I was only able to fully inspect two of the units, because 2 units are empty and didn’t have the electricity turned on. I made arrangements to have the electricity temporarily turned on and my agent gave the selling agent (and he the property managers) ample time to get the keys to us. They agreed to do so, but gave us the run around when we were supposed to pick them up and finally said that they did not know where the keys were. It took them 4-5 days to get us the keys the first time I needed to see the property. I’m also having problems with the property managers giving me the valid, up-to-date leases for the currently rented units. My agent is getting frustrated, but says that neither he nor I can contact the sellers directly. I suggested to him that I write a letter to the sellers that he can pass off to the seller’s agent for delivery to the seller to communicate my frustration with the property managers’ handling of the situation. They also left one of the unrented units totally filthy. I would like the sellers to look into my concerns, so that we can smoothly close this transaction. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. This is my first purchase and I want it to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks.

Re: HELP!!! PROPERTY MANAGERS SPOILING DEAL! - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on October 18, 2003 at 17:02:21:

>

One possible reason is that the listing agent has someone else who’d like to write an offer and if they frustrate you enough, you’ll go away.

Either get on the phone or send off a certified letter to the seller.

First line should be something like this:

I’m trying to buy your property, but your agent won’t let me.

Tell the owner what’s happened thus far, and that you’d like to proceed and the longer it takes, the more likely another mortgage payment must be made, etc.

Be sure to mention that you didn’t want to go to this length and get the seller involved, but your patience had worn thin after all the shenanigans. Tell them you feel like you’ve been on hold with customer “service” for two weeks now.

100% Right! - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on October 18, 2003 at 07:36:18:

I’m sure that you like confirmation so here goes. Del and Lyal are right. Especially Lyal. Follow that advice. I have contacted sellers directly before and on one occasion even struck a deal because we got along so well. His agent tried to get him to back out or raise the offer and he said “just sell it!” My agent many times has advised me “cough, cough” not to contact the seller if you know what I mean. Close your deal.

Re: HELP!!! PROPERTY MANAGERS SPOILING DEAL! - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on October 18, 2003 at 06:32:23:

Robin,
Del has a good idea in making an attempt to set up a meeting.
In general though, I am not that patient and have little tolerance for people telling me who I can talk to. Last I knew in this country you can talk to anyone you want to (barring any contractual agreement or court order that says otherwise) so, if necessary, contact the seller directly. It’s possible they don’t even know a probelm exists
(Note: I’m not saying that you should try and cut the realtor out of the transaction, just do what you need to to get the deal done).
All the best, Lyal

Re: HELP!!! PROPERTY MANAGERS SPOILING DEAL! - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on October 18, 2003 at 24:46:38:

Is the property management company the same company that’s representing the seller in the sale?