help with 1st rehab(order of repairs) - Posted by Stephen

Posted by stephen on April 27, 2006 at 16:16:45:

just a little help goes along ways.

help with 1st rehab(order of repairs) - Posted by Stephen

Posted by Stephen on April 27, 2006 at 14:47:42:

i just got my 1st home under contract, close in 2weeks. i just need a little help on the order i should do the repairs so i dont mess myself up somewhere along the middle. list of repairs include

hvac system(never had one)
paint inside and out
wood floors in living and kitchen
new sheetrock 20% of house
kitchen counter tops
bathtub refinish
bathroom floors
land scapping
preassure wash brick and drive
and small odds and ends(doors knobs, light fixtures, etc)

Re: help with 1st rehab(order of repairs) - Posted by Scott (FL)

Posted by Scott (FL) on April 27, 2006 at 21:22:57:

If no previous HVAC, whats the size of the Main electrical breaker??? You may have to upgrade your panel. I always put a minimum of 150A when I am adding A/C. The panel will be larger than the old one, and there is a good chance you will have drywall patching since some electricians can make a mess. You may choose to move the panel upon upgrading to a better location that suits the house. With this in mind, you want to schedule this one closer to the top of the list.

HTH,
Scott

Re: help with 1st rehab(order of repairs) - Posted by DSmith

Posted by DSmith on April 27, 2006 at 15:48:18:

First I?d get someone working on the outside. I like to get the outside looking nice as soon as possible, that way I can put a sign up and start working on getting buyers while I?m still working on the inside. Put a sign up that says ?Renovation in progress ? Buy now and pick paint and fixtures? or something to that effect.

Most of the other stuff you can work on simultaneously.

HVAC ? I?d get this going as soon as possible so you don?t have to work in a hot house
New Sheetrock
Countertops
Bathtub

I?d finish the inside in this order:
Floors then paint then fixtures.

Congrats on the first deal. I?m about to close on deal #3. Just remember, buy right and everything else will fall into place. Good luck.