Help with Multiple Companies! - Posted by Jeffrey Short

Posted by Jeffrey Short on November 30, 1999 at 19:11:52:

Hi all…

I posted a similar message at LegalWiz (which Bill responded), however I wanted to see what you all do, have done, or have heard about doing…

I am in the process of forming several companies… some are Real Estate oriented, others are not. Some will be single-member LLCs, while others will be Corporations. All of which, I hope, will make money (not looking for one corp losses to offset gains), though one will probably be a non-profit… my question

I have considered three possible ways to organize my companies…

1a) Form a Umbrella Corporation with each of the other companies as “official” subsidiaries.
1b) Form the Umberalla Corporation, however, have the activities of the other business as part of the corporation, and not as subsidiaries (or separate entities).

1. Form Corporation per business “type”. For example, have my real estate businesses under one corp (with the option of subs or no-subs). Have my Personal Investment LLC as a separate entity…as well as my tax business…etc…

2. Make every business its own separate entity

Option 3 would be the most expensive to form… while 1b would be the “cheapest” (only one corporation to form).

Advice? How do you handle your rentals when each one is a separate LLC?

Thanks…

Jeff