Help With Oil Spots in Drive way - Posted by Giaconia

Posted by John Behle on October 19, 1998 at 24:16:24:

Now there’s cats all over the driveway! How do I get rid of them? :slight_smile:

Help With Oil Spots in Drive way - Posted by Giaconia

Posted by Giaconia on October 16, 1998 at 18:16:25:

One of the houses that I own has terrible oil spots in
the drive way and the garage, was looking for tips on easy
ways to remove.

Thank you in Advance

Giaconia

Before you use the kitty litter… - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on October 21, 1998 at 12:51:26:

I was told to use WD40 to dissolve the oil, then use the kitty litter to absorb it up. It worked in most spots.

If all else fails - Posted by John Bulik

Posted by John Bulik on October 20, 1998 at 14:43:53:

I have one other idea if the stains won’t come out and the structural integrity of the concrete is still good. There is a product that will coat the driveway and make it look like new concrete. It is made by a company called Ardex. It goes on easy, looks great, lasts a long time and the cost is a fraction of replacement. It can be applied by almost anyone.

John Bulik

Re: Help With Oil Spots in Drive way - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on October 18, 1998 at 18:56:55:

For the driveway, why not just paint over with
Blacktop Paint. I think it adds great curb appeal.

Sandy

You can use kitty litter but - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on October 18, 1998 at 16:50:33:

Kitty litter will work in most cases to remove oil stains, but don’t let it sit for a long period of time.(several days)
There is an ingredient in some brands that can leave a yellowish stain on concrete.

Re: Help With Oil Spots in Drive way - Posted by Bob-CO

Posted by Bob-CO on October 17, 1998 at 02:06:41:

Giaconia,
You can use cat litter and work in with your feet – do you know how to twist?

Also, pouring on paint thinner then covering with cat litter also works.

Bob

Re: Help With Oil Spots in Drive way - Posted by Steve C.

Posted by Steve C. on October 16, 1998 at 20:29:52:

Giaconia,

You can rent a high-power pressure washer that should quickly remove the stains. My neighbor uses his for much the same thing.

You need to be careful using it because you can leave streaks if you getthe nozzle to close to the concrete. Experiment in a non-visble area to get the hang of it.

The money you spend on the rental fee will be more than recouped in the time you save (not to mention the physical effort).

If you don’t want to rent a pressure washer, you can always buy a large bottle of Simple Green. I like it because it’s bio-degradeable and works very well. This route will require scrubbing, rinsing, scubbing some more, rinsing, etc… You will have to use a fair amount of “elbow grease”.

Just my 2c,

Steve