Help with website design - Posted by Steve

Posted by Pat on March 24, 2006 at 08:52:13:

Nice looking site - I like the color scheme and the dual menus work well too.

Help with website design - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 22, 2006 at 21:46:14:

I am starting to build my “we buy houses” website. Most of the templates have the buttons at the top. But I notice that every single real estate website has the buttons (links to other pages) on the left side. Not as many template choices with those. Any reason that everyone has them on the side.

Re: Help with website design - Posted by Vin

Posted by Vin on March 22, 2006 at 22:26:43:

Steve,

This is purely a design decision, and has no bearing on usability. I f the site is pleasing to the eye and intuitive in its use, put the buttons wherever you like. If you need help, let me know. I do web design to support me RE habit.

Vin

Re: Help with website design - Posted by Pat

Posted by Pat on March 23, 2006 at 16:55:41:

May not have a bearing on usability, but keep in mind most folks read from top to bottom, left to right. Having buttons on the top, may cause them to scroll off the screen. Having them on the left or anchored regardless of scrolling makes them more obvious to users.

Re: Help with website design - Posted by Vin

Posted by Vin on March 23, 2006 at 19:25:02:

This is true, but a well designed site will have dual menus anyway. Take a look at one of mine, www.fsbomarine.com. Right side menus are mirrored (sp?) in the top position. Works well, I hope. No complaints yet. I see it as something to make my site stand out from the crowd.