here on weekends only what do I do? - Posted by Tom Kirby (PA)

Posted by Marc NJ on January 10, 2004 at 21:38:33:

Heres my solution to your problem, but its not going to be easy or cheap.

Hang some bandit signs and let the world know that you buy houses. Make a realtor your friend inthe area you want to invest. Then get your wife or someoeneelse to do your leg work. get to know the market area yourself also. then do everything thru these people.

You could take on a handymen or contractor as a partner to estimate and make the repairs.

There! its that easy. Make offers to motivated sellers after having your wife or youself screen them after they call on the signs or other marketing tech’s.

It can get you started , where theres a strong committment to suceed, nothing will stop the ambitious.

Good Luck and GOD Bless,
Marc NJ

here on weekends only what do I do? - Posted by Tom Kirby ¶

Posted by Tom Kirby ¶ on January 10, 2004 at 17:37:48:

Hi all,
Here is my problem. I live on Long Island 5 days a week (working). My house and wife are in Pennsylvania. I’m only in P.A on the weekends as it is 178 mile drive one way. Here’s the prob, I want to do deals here in P.A as I feel L.I market is in a bubble. House in the last 3 yrs went from 225,000 to 325,000 and up, not to mention the tax hikes.

I’m finding it hard to try and get started here in P.A. The court house is closed on the weekend and tax and other info is not online. I can’t afford extra anythings as far as fax machines, extra phone lines and so on because of the living arrangments in two states. I hate to start out by running back and forth between two states. I know that I could prob do sub2 with a fax and phone from N.Y and only run to sign the contract when the numbers look good. But just starting off I would like to build some reserves before jumping into the riskier deals, besides I don’t know the market that well here in P.A. Houses differ widly here, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the same looking house with in couple of blocks. As far as joining a real estate club, forget it. They have there meetings here while I’m in N.Y. Is there anyway I could make things work? Some ideas?
Thanks, Tom

Re: here on weekends only what do I do? - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on January 13, 2004 at 07:00:08:

I know that I could prob do sub2 with a fax and phone from N.Y and only run to sign the contract when the numbers look good.>>

So if the numbers looked good, you’d scurry home.

But you’re not willing to go home to your wife.

Doesn’t she look good?

Re: here on weekends only what do I do? - Posted by tmofa-IN

Posted by tmofa-IN on January 12, 2004 at 07:09:55:

Go to your local library and copy the real estate classifieds for the last 6 months or more. Copy the phone numbers and maybe a brief description to make sure they aren’t advertising a different house. Then compare the numbers, and call the onces reduced enough and call the ones that have been in the longest.
try not to limit your market size cover more than one city to begin with, Unless its a bigg’un
Also look for package deals.
Others have said it, and you probably agree, you need something different. You can make this work.
Peace,
Teddy

Re: here on weekends only what do I do? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 11, 2004 at 08:53:56:

I sure hope the job is paying you great money based on the huge sacrifice you are making against your personal life and your family by being away for that much. I don’t know your situation, so all I can say is in general if I were in a similar situation I would be looking for a new job even if there were a paycut involved.