Hey Ma! They want your house to save your butt! - Posted by Michael Murray- Colo.

Posted by Michael Murray on February 28, 2002 at 22:28:08:

Should be facilities.

Hey Ma! They want your house to save your butt! - Posted by Michael Murray- Colo.

Posted by Michael Murray- Colo. on February 28, 2002 at 22:24:29:

My parents are elderly and need assisted care facislities. They are afraid that the state (Ariz.) will force them to sell their house to pay for long term care. They feel that since they have paid into SS and Medicare for ever, they should get some payback in the form of elder care. Could a land trust shield their property from the state? They want the proceeds from sale of their property to go to their heirs. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Michael

Buy Long Term Care Insurance - Posted by SuperCat (IL, KY)

Posted by SuperCat (IL, KY) on March 01, 2002 at 10:10:28:

The more honorable and better thing to do would be to buy long term care insurance. It is available now no matter what their age if they are currently in good health. Not only do you get to keep the house, but you will be able to reveive better quality care than medicare would provide.

CONSULT A GOOD ELDER CARE LAWYER. (NT) - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on March 01, 2002 at 09:54:33:

nt

Depends - Posted by ND Corey

Posted by ND Corey on March 01, 2002 at 07:39:42:

My mother was ill for 12 years but my father took care of her at home. It looked like during the last year or two she may have to go to a nursing home. We contacted attorneys about this matter and were told that you can only have so much money (not very much at all). IF you have too much they do sell property and such. They said you had to transfer any property 5-7 years before in order for it to be secure.

Of course this could vary by state. This was our experience. We never actually found out as my father was able to care for her until she passed away.

Hope things go well for you.