HORSEfeathers!! (...and trespassers....) - Posted by SusanL--FL

Posted by Mickey on January 28, 2000 at 09:02:07:

nt

HORSEfeathers!! (…and trespassers…) - Posted by SusanL–FL

Posted by SusanL–FL on January 28, 2000 at 08:25:40:

After work yesterday, I sent my son out to the car for a load of stuff (groceries ?n whatnot).

A few minutes later I looked out my living room window to check on him and saw TWO horses ?grazing? not TEN feet from my window!! One with a rider, one without?. (both eating as fast and furiously as they could gobble!)
what tha??..

I raced out. ?Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse ME!!! Can Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii help you??? no answer
?Please get your horses off my front lawn.? Like a shot, the riderless horse took off (literally) for greener pastures!!

The other rider, an older woman, was in the street carrying on a lengthy conversation with a friend in a car.

I stood there waiting by my car for about FOUR or FIVE minutes until the woman got good ?n ready to finish her chat. She strolled up my driveway—no introduction----?do you know who owns that pasture?? I said ?I do?. She wondered if they could ?graze? there because there wasn?t much grass around. I said no. (Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, actually)

I thought, ?well, duuuuuuuuuh, buy yourself a bale of hay lady!?

Horses will eat grass right down to the nub. I thought thanx but no thanx!

I couldn?t believe the brass ?you know what?s? on this person. It wudda bin one thing if she had knocked at my door to ask—but to just wander onto someone else?s property and turn her horses loose then leave?em to chow down?.!!

I went back in the house and the next thing I knew, she and her little friend were meandering down the road that runs along my pasture fence and connects three other properties!

Also–the liability factor! Several years back I had a friend who rode ?dressage?. One day, outta tha blue, her well-trained ?pet? horse planted his hoof right square in the middle of her face! Nearly tore her nose off. Multiple plastic surgeries later, they put her back together again.

Re: HORSEfeathers!! (…and trespassers…) - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on January 28, 2000 at 18:18:10:

Hi Susan,

Great story…or perhaps it wasn’t supposed to be that funny?? :slight_smile:

I grew up around horses. I can still remember the look on my mother’s face on those few occasions when, having been gone from home for a few hours, we pulled in the driveway to find multiple horses in her garden - or what remained of it, after they had managed to knock down a fence or gate.

I have given some thought to turning one loose for a couple hours in my back lawn, however. They’re great lawnmowers…much quieter too.

Ah, liability…my daughter rides all the time. Still gives me visions of Christopher Reeve. NY just enacted a law requiring all riders under 14 to wear helmets.

Here’s a tip for your trespassing equestrians: just tie a couple empty plastic gallon milk jugs onto strings and attach them to the fence in strategic areas (or anything similar which will move around and make noise in the wind). Horses won’t stand still for two seconds when they hear that!

Brian