Hot Water Heaters - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on April 25, 2002 at 13:00:59:

…he was only kidding, but thanks for the backbone anyway. :~)

Regards, doc

Hot Water Heaters - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Ed C (CA) on April 24, 2002 at 23:01:43:

Can anyone tell me the difference between Hot Water Heater’s for Mobile/Manufactured Home and SFD? They appear very much alike but MH heaters are marked For Manufactured Home Use Only! I need to replace a 36 year old one ( I bet a Big Mac the replacement unit will NOT last 36 years). All help will be apprieciated.

There’s no such thing… - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on April 26, 2002 at 13:23:40:

If the water were hot, then there would be no need to heat it!

It’s a water heater!

Sorry, just couldn’t help it,

ray

Re: Hot Water Heaters - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Ed C (CA) on April 25, 2002 at 23:01:17:

Thanks to everyone for help!!!

Re: Hot Water Heaters - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on April 25, 2002 at 22:31:04:

The big difference in price is because the mobile home water heater is “UL” approved. That approval costs money and the cost is passed along. The reason that mh water heaters need to be “UL” approved is because the HUD code requires it. There is no uniform code for SFH’s, so it’s not required. I’ve been told that in reality they are the same water heater.
Joe C. (AR)

anybody notice . . . - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve W (WA) on April 25, 2002 at 07:55:42:

Does anyone else notice that the Big Mac theme popularized by a certain non-MD is becoming a theme of the board, rather than the non-MD’s posts alone?

Talk about your influential personalities!

And by the way, he likes roast chicken dinners too!

:wink:

Re: Hot Water Heaters - Posted by GregVa

Posted by GregVa on April 25, 2002 at 06:19:58:

Ed
I have replaced both types of heaters. The main difference is that the MH type heaters are usually 110 volts and the sf type are 220 volts.If the home is 36 years old you may have to replace the wiring if you switch to a sf type heater,due to the difference in the amperage change between the two. Also the older homes sometimes do not have room to accomadate the sf type due to the plumbing exiting the top rather than the side. I have found that the extra work, cost more to change from the mh type to the sf type, in some cases.

Did I hear someone say Big Mac? - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on April 25, 2002 at 01:03:30:

The only REAL difference is price, and common sense. This was a real life I.Q. test ED. Congratulations, you passed. :~)

Regards, doc

Re: Hot Water Heaters - Posted by Steve Hilbon

Posted by Steve Hilbon on April 24, 2002 at 23:15:37:

Ed-I just replaced a 30 gallon hot water heater in
Riverside County about 2 months ago. At Home Depot
the mobile home heater was about $200-210 if I recall
and the regular one was about $145 or so. I asked my
HVAC guy about it and he said get the regular one. The
only difference was the one for the mobile home has one of the water lines plumbed near the bottom of the
heater and the regular ones have all the plumbing on the top. My guy said he would just run an extra few feet of plumbing to put it in. Works just fine. Apparently the mobile home heaters are not as big a seller as regular ones so the price is higher. Hope that helps.

Steve Hilbon

Re: Hot Water Heaters - Posted by terryr

Posted by terryr on April 24, 2002 at 23:11:14:

the difference is the label - they are the same

Re: anybody notice . . . - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on April 25, 2002 at 12:57:24:

Steve, thanks for the roast chicken dinner and the conversation. Note: I only orded the chicken becuse they didn’t serve Big Macs at your hotel. Say hello to Lori for me.

Regards, Non-MD

Regards, doc

anybody notice . . i have. - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on April 25, 2002 at 08:57:19:

i have also noticed that the level of information here has tapered off since a post a few days ago the was critisizing the knowlage on this post. for all of you trailor park veterans, tell the war stories, but tell us how you got shot in the buttox too so we do not loose our A$$. anyone here that leaps right up from the computer and buys a home based on what they have read here is motivated and also needs to hear about the pain too. my advise is not here to causes you to buy or not to buy anything, it is only here to make you think, I hope that all of the newer people here realize that this forum is here to help you not to hold your hand, after all are we going to be able to catch you if you fall, once the power is out make your own decisions. after you read here check it out for yourselves. alright Im done preaching.

Good Post Greg - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on April 25, 2002 at 11:14:37:

These are not one type fit all situations. You must analize Voltage,Amperage,Element Wattages and gallons of capacity. Also dont forget the size of the cavity the existing Hot Water Heater is in is usually smaller than a regular house type Hot Water Heater. Take Care ScottS(NC)