House and contents - Purchase before closing? - Posted by bogie

Posted by Mike.R (NJ) on November 04, 1998 at 17:25:09:

I would not start renovating till you close. What if the deal falls through at the last minute? But if you want to clear out the contents why not rent a storage space.

House and contents - Purchase before closing? - Posted by bogie

Posted by bogie on November 04, 1998 at 16:33:07:

I’m about to prepare a contract on a home (through a realtor) and have negotiated to buy the contents. The sale won’t close for a month. How should I go about getting the contents out of the house before closing so I can start renovating. . .and in the meantime, start selling the contents to recoup my costs. My main concern is the seller thinking I’m going to clean out the house and then not follow through with the purchase of the house. Should I write a separate contract on the sale of the contents? Any ideas are welcome.

Cover this in the contract - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on November 04, 1998 at 19:07:47:

Make sure your contract reflects the value that the personal effects have and where you will be storing as what your intentions are. You should always use a seperate bill of sale which is added to the contract.

I don’t think I would start selling the stuff until the deal is slammed. Otherwise you may be buying the stuff according to the terms you have written in the bill of sale.

Thanks,

karp