House is trashed - basement has smell - Posted by Ryan Omel

Posted by Ryan Omel on April 06, 2000 at 10:38:59:

Because I am new, I have had the best luck by just driving around. Other than that I am doing just as everyone here has suggested. Business cards, networking and telling everyone that I buy houses.

Good Luck,
Ryan Omel

House is trashed - basement has smell - Posted by Ryan Omel

Posted by Ryan Omel on April 05, 2000 at 23:40:20:

I am looking into rehabbing a house that has been trashed and left vacant for nearly two years. Water has accumulated in the basement because the windows and doors were destroyed. The odor is coming from the basement (mildew on basement walls). Is there anything that might remove or cover-up the odor? I have read previous posts about Kilz on pet odor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ammonia Worked for Me - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on April 07, 2000 at 13:18:18:

Ryan,

I had the same problem last summer. After I got all the carpet and water out. I let it dry out for a couple of days. First I washed down the ceiling and walls with full strength ammonia, then the floor. After 2 days, I returned with my ammonia and a sprayer and sprayed all the nooks and crevices. Just to make certain the odor/mildew didn’t return I hung a bag of stuff (can’t remember the name)that comes in a mesh bag, looks like its filled with gravel, but it prevents odors. Haven’t had a problem since.

If you go this route, make sure you wear a mask and you have plenty of ventilation. I almost died from the smell.

Good Luck.

cat urine turns me on ! - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 07, 2000 at 03:29:19:

Isn’t that what Le Grand says?? LOL

Laure :slight_smile:

You can fix it - dry, treat, and seal. - Posted by Rolfe

Posted by Rolfe on April 06, 2000 at 10:31:12:

Ryan;

First thing I’d do is check the floor drain for back-up. If there is a drain, be sure it is clear. Second, stop water from flowing in, if only temporarily. Third, dehumidify. Place a strong dehumidifier down there, and let it dehumidify for several days.

Once you’re dried out, you’ll want to remove any rotten stinky lousy things, and replace if necessary. Do NOT remove any concrete.

Several products are available for oder removal, depending on the type and source of the oder. For general basement mildew, Kilz is an ok product for general use, as is Bins. Apply to the walls, perhaps the ceiling (you may want to mask with tape wires and copper). Last, paint the floor with a quality basement floor paint - follow the directions on the can closely.

If the is oder mildew, that should take care of it. Strong, strong pet oder will not be snuffed out by Kilz.

Good Luck! Rolfe

Re: House is trashed - basement has smell - Posted by MilNC

Posted by MilNC on April 06, 2000 at 09:52:45:

This was posted here awhile back.
The product is OdorXit. I haven’t used it personally.

How Do I Find These Rehabers? - Posted by Thane

Posted by Thane on April 06, 2000 at 08:31:42:

After Ron’s talk at the conference in Atlanta, I have been driving up and down neiborhood streets looking for an abandoned house to flip. I haven’t found one yet. Is there a better way to find a trashed house that hasn’t been listed yet?

Re: You can fix it - dry, treat, and seal. - Posted by nick schlicht

Posted by nick schlicht on April 30, 2000 at 15:05:40:

My basement carpet was all wet. I got all the water out,now it stinks. What do I do to remove the oder?I have two fans running and a window open.I have a finished basement and just the carpet got wet.Please help! Thank You