House partially bricked - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by Jack on January 12, 2001 at 22:08:38:

Thanks for the correction Bert. A yard has 2700 lbs not tons. But on Jupiter we call yards - tons (just kidding :slight_smile: —Jack

House partially bricked - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on January 12, 2001 at 01:09:56:

I got a call from a lady today who sounded pretty anxious to “go back home.” So, after work 12:30am I drove to see the house for a look see. It looked like a very nice brick house until I noticed some of it had not been done on one side and the entire backside. In determining my repair costs which I don’t think will be too many from what I’ve seen, should I include finishing the brickwork? I believe brickwork is pretty darn expensive. I want to rent to own on the backend so I’m thinking it’s going to have to be done. Any suggestions?

LeonNC

Here’s a tip from a brickmason… - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on January 12, 2001 at 02:52:30:

I have a masonry construction business here in north Texas. On single story homes I charge $250.00 per thousand bricj laid, plus extras. The extras are window sills, arches, brickbands, coin corners and anything out of the norm. On two story homes I charge $310.00 per thousand brick layed. This is because we have to set 6 foot jacks to reach the second story; that’s increased labor expense. And in my neck of the woods, the homeowner or builder supplies all materials. The info I supplied is on veneer homes. On commercial work I charge a higher rate.

If you decide to have a mason finish the brickwork, I recommend you get a minimum of four bids. You’ll find that some masons have a higher overhead, so they charge accordingly. Good luck! —Jack

1 question - Posted by Kevin Subbert

Posted by Kevin Subbert on January 12, 2001 at 03:58:02:

Thats helpful information but one question that comes to my mind is; How much area does 1000 bricks cover? I honestly have no idea.

Kevin Subbert

Re: 1 question - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on January 12, 2001 at 10:09:17:

Hello Kevin,

That’s a good question, because the answer differs with each of the different sizes of brick being produced. Years ago, brick were uniform, and were called “standard modular brick.” They were 8"x2 1/4"x3 1/4". Today, the most common brick used on veneer homes is the “Jumbo brick” and it measures usually 9"x2 3/4"x3 3/4". This size of a brick cuts down on the number of brick needed to fill a wall space in question. But it’s not a complicated matter, because we use a rule-of-thumb for estimating the brick count.

First, if the brick is “standard” (8" in length as described above)) then we know that it takes 6.75 brick to fill a square foot. To calculate, we round the number off to 7. However, if the brick is a “Jumbo” (9") it takes 5 of those brick to fill a square foot. This of course is for a single width brick wall which is common on veneer walls.

To estimate how ma ny brick it will take to fill the space of a project wall, you measure the height and length; then you multiply those two figures multiplied by either 5 or 7, depending on the size brick. This will give you the amount of brick needed to fill the wall space. It also allows for the mortar joints. And, if you have a windown or door in the wall, just figure it solid, then measure the doors/windows and deduct this measurement from the total calculation; then multiply by the correct brick size you’ll be using. So, rule-of-thumb is: Square feet of wall area (minus square feet of any wall openings) x 5 or 7. You can add a couple hundred brick to the final count for breakage.

For sand, figure one-ton per 1000 brick regardless of brick size. This figure allows for waste. And Kevin, keep in mind that sand is sold by the “yard.” So there are 2,700 tons of sand in a yard. Just figure up your tonage from the yards you’ll have delivered. And on Masonry Mix (not pure Portland Cement) which is a mixture of portland and lime (premixed at the factory) you will need 8 sacks per thousand on standard brick, and 10 bags per thousand on Jumbo brick. You’ll also need metal wall ties. You can purchase them in amounts of 250 to 1000. It takes a box of ties (1000) on a house with 10,000 brick. They are staggered in height along the studs of the wall to be bricked; and they are important.

Your question was how much space 1000 brick would fill? If you were figuring with standard brick (multiplied by 7 per square foot)what would the answer be? I wantt to see if I taught you how to do it? To help you out, I’ll give you a example. If you had a wall with no openings that measured 5’ high by 10’ long, we know by the rule-of-thumb it will contain 50 square feet. That multiplied by 7 = 350 brick. If you multipled that figure 3 times you would have: 1,050 brick in the amount of wall space. That would be 150 feet of wall space, and it allows 50 extra brick for breakage.

1 ton of sand per 1000 brick
8 or 10 bags of masonry mix per thousand; depending on brick size.

And one last thought Kevin. If you’re matching a mortar already present on the other walls, keep in mind that masonry mixes vary in color. TXI Masonry mix is whiter than nearly all other brands for the exception of “White Masonry Mix” which is produced by all cement suppliers. Most homes have a gray tint (normal) to the joints. And some have colored mortar. An experienced mason can tell you if black coloring was used, or buff, etc. But if you know it’s standard gray mortar, you need to also keep in mind that the other joints and brick have weathered over time, so the new work will not match exactly until time passes.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. If I were in your neck of the woods, I’d cut you a deal on the job, but unfortunately distance separates us. Good luck! —Jack

2,700 Tons?? - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on January 12, 2001 at 11:32:00:

You sure you mean 2,700 TONS in a yard? That would be 5,400,000 pounds. All in a 3’X3’X3’ box. On Jupiter, maybe.