House - Posted by Rhonda

Posted by Linda Simms on September 23, 2003 at 16:45:26:

Did she leave a will or any other instrument passing the house to you? If so you will probably have to do it probate

House - Posted by Rhonda

Posted by Rhonda on September 23, 2003 at 15:07:42:

Mother in law passed away, no homeowners insurance, need to know how can we get the house in my name. has a fha loan on it. I have been paying mortgage on it.
Please help.

Re: House - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 23, 2003 at 16:52:39:


You need, in my opinion, to talk to a probate attorney. If there is a will, that controls who becomes the owner(s) after the probate is done. If there is no will, then the state law on intestate succession determines who receives the ownership of the property. These laws probably vary from state to state. Typically, the closest relatives are the heirs: spouses, children, children of predeceased spouses, parents, siblings, children of siblings, etc. You re not not in this list, probably. However, if your husband is deceased and he was the only heir of his mother, you might be the one to inherit the house. Perhaps not, I’m not an attorney, so I don’t know.

A probate attorney in your area will tell you how it could operate in your circumstances. In some states, if the deceased’s estate is low enough in value, there may not be the need to do a probate case.

Good Investing***************Ron Starr***************