Houston Investors - Posted by CR-TX

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 26, 2001 at 22:41:36:

That is why a lot of people put the trustee as someone from out of state or a different name.

I have not run into that as far as the counties go. I send mine in and they get filed.

Hope to see you at the RICH club.

Terry

Houston Investors - Posted by CR-TX

Posted by CR-TX on June 26, 2001 at 19:20:15:

Can Houston (Harris County) investors tell me, please, will HCAD or the district clerk, let us record property in the name of a Land Trust (for example, “The 123 Main St Trust”) or must we record in the name of the Trustee?

Thank you.

Re: Houston Investors - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 26, 2001 at 19:38:45:

123 main st trust is fine, Or do it in the name of the person,
Jim and Joan Smith Trust.

I have found that with MTG. companies that is an easier way to go.

I have had several recently that balked a lot at the street addressss as the trust. I got it pushed through, but don’t have the same issue with the name as the trust.

Terry

I’m with William… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on June 27, 2001 at 14:42:17:

I put (instead of the full address, just the name of the street) just Mockingbird Land Trust, J. Smith, Trustee

I have never had a problem, they dont see title, unless they check it for some crazy reason.

As far as the change of address:

I do that with their name c/o David Alexander

David Alexander

Re: Houston Investors - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 26, 2001 at 20:39:01:

Ahhh Yes, I did not explain clearly, Good thing I am not a Guru or I would be bashed unmercifully. :wink:

The problem comes when I stop the old insurance policy and issue a new one in the name of the trust with just the address as the trust name.

I know there are several schools of thought to the insurance issue but that way is working for me and my agent. He has been ‘schooled’ very well thank you.

The mtg. companies have had an issue with the “Street name” on a couple of instances. Dealing with a $5.00 an hour kid does not help.

I have not thought of the Lien issue but that is a good point to consider. I will look further into that.

Terry

Re: Houston Investors - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on June 26, 2001 at 20:13:17:

Terry,

Do you think there may be an issue with liens or judgements against “Jim or Joan Smith” attaching to the property if the new deed is recorded this way?

If you don’t mind, which lenders gave you trouble? I always name my trusts by the street name, “Oak Street 123 Land Trust”. Makes it next to impossible to trace ownership with the filing system here. Would be nice to know ahead of time who has a problem with it.

Later you dealmaker, you!

LOL

WilliamGA

Why the complication? - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on June 26, 2001 at 20:12:41:

Why does the mortgage company need to know? I found that to be a pain and it’s much easier to just change the address to John and Jane Doe c/o GRQ Properties, etc.

We recently put a property on the market and the listing agent finally called and said the tax records were messed up. The only thing that would pop up in the owner field was the street address. LOL!

It’s not the title on the deed - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on June 27, 2001 at 15:49:30:

It is the name on the insurance when insurance is escrowed. They see a different name when the new policy is submitted, the street name.

Not the name of the people so they want to put Their Policy in place.

Hope that helps.

Terry

Re: Houston Investors - Posted by CR TX

Posted by CR TX on June 26, 2001 at 21:34:07:

The reason for the question is that when I joined RICH a few months ago, I picked up a paper written by a Houston attorney (James Robert Smith) that said that some counties REQUIRE title held in trusts to be in the name of the trustee.

I’ve ordered, but not yet recieved Bill Bronchicks “Asset Protection Package” hoping to find ways to hide ownership in real property, but if we put the trustees name on record, doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the trust?