Houston REI Clubs - Posted by MartyB

Posted by Alan Paine in Houston on July 28, 2001 at 02:11:51:

MartyB,

Terry and I joke with Jim because we are friends. Jim’s offer is sincere. Had Terry seen your post first he would have made the same offer.

I am relatively new to the RICH club, having been invited by Jim myself a few months back. If you are serious about learning about RE investing in Houston, come meet others who do it everyday. This will inspire you.

Hope to see you next Saturday.

Houston REI Clubs - Posted by MartyB

Posted by MartyB on July 26, 2001 at 15:58:24:

Hi folks,

I am interested in joining a REI club in Houston and notice that this site has several listed.

I am just recently getting interested in pursuing REI and have read a lot on this site about all these incredibly creative financing and marketing “i-dears”. I also read a book I found by bill Bronchick and I want find a way to hang around some of youse to get some contacts and inspiration and start building a biz.

I would be interested in hearing from some of you Houston based folks whose posts I’ve read on this forum about which club they would recommend. Email is fine if you don’t wanna post to this board.

Thanks in advance.

MartyB

Re: Houston REI Clubs - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 26, 2001 at 16:28:45:

The Realty Investment Club of Houston (RICH) is the largest and oldest REI club in Houston with about 600 members. Our general meeting usually attracts between 175 to 250 attendees including members and guests. The general meeting is held at the Hilton Hotel at the University of Houston, 4800 Calhoun. We meet on the first Saturday of the month. People start congregating between 8am and 8:30am for networking and the meeting starts at 9am. The meeting lasts until 12 noon and then many of the members go together for lunch and more networking.

You may attend your first meeting as my guest and then if you like what you see you can join for $120 initial one-year membership. Annual renewals are $85. With your membership you also receive our 20-page monthly newsletter which is considered one of the best in the country. You’re also entitled to attend workshops. We hold four workshops per month. The workshops are held on Monday from 7pm to 9pm. The first Monday is the Real Estate Computer Workshop with topics concerning computer hardware and software used in real estate. The second Monday is ?Mr. Fix-It? with topics concerning rehab, repairs and maintenance. The third Monday is ?Mr. Money? with topics concerning finance. The fourth Monday is R. E. Management with topics concerning management, legal and general information.

If you’re interested, feel free to contact me. Phone: 281-398-0505

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy

Re: Houston REI Clubs - Posted by MartyB

Posted by MartyB on July 27, 2001 at 14:15:11:

Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I have to wonder though (from Terry’s comments that follow your post to the board) if this is just a canned response. BTW, OK if it is.
:slight_smile:

So I guess that means the next club meeting is Sat Aug 4. Sounds fine to me.

As I mentioned in my post, I am totally new to REI. I am a 20 year financial and investment professional, but I have been looking for a way out of the corporate rat race. Started wondering a few weeks ago (after seeing a couple infomercials on late night TV - guess who?) how you could really make money in RE without speculating. I knew a little about seller-carry type deals, but it seemed far-fetched to me that any seller would really do this.

Now, after reading a ton of info on CREonline, the idea seems to boil down to a few simple items:

Find very motivated sellers to buy well below MV and use creative structures to get them out (and me in) an interest in the property. I can see that this is gonna take a bit of work, a lot of learning and a huge list of contacts so I better start now.

Thanks again.

MartyB

Re: Houston REI Clubs - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on July 26, 2001 at 17:05:30:

You have that on auto dial don’t you???
hahahahaha