How can I buy a waterfront home? - Posted by David MacGown-MI

Re: How can I buy a waterfront home? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on December 10, 2007 at 06:51:34:

David, you are asking a multi-part hypothetical question about hypothetical properties & sellers. We’d like to help you realize your dream (I, too, had a waterfront dream, & I have to say the reality is pretty darn nice), but in order to get good answers you’ve got to have good questions.

How many of your dream properties have you viewed? You can’t know the right questions unless you can narrow down the field of possibilities. You need to be talking to real owners of real properties to understand what you want.

I agree w/previous posters that this is not the bottom of the mkt, especially in MI. However, the best time to shop of any particular year is the week after Christmas, because no one else is looking then. Note, though, that the long cold Jan of 2008 is probably going to be even better. Good luck!

Tye

Re: How can I buy a waterfront home? - Posted by David MacGown-MI

Posted by David MacGown-MI on December 10, 2007 at 22:19:38:

Rich,
you may be surprised, but I have read Sam Walton’s biography. Sam had a Warren Buffet type of frugalness to him. He drove a pickup truck with holes in the floorboards! That doesn’t impress me. Sure, if he drove a Bentley or a Rolls his lifestyle consumption would mean that his grandchildrens grandchildren wouldn’t have a trust fund, but so what.

I used to plan and invest for the future,but now I know what it is like to lose absolutely everything.
I used to live for tommorrow, but this experience has taught me to be in the now, it’s cliche’ but to live as if today is your last day.

I don’t care about building trust funds for my grandchildren, my idea of a fulfilled life is when my very last dollar runs out at the same time my last breath runs out.

David

Posted by David MacGown-MI on December 10, 2007 at 21:58:55:

Eric,
I think by my post that people have missunderstood me,
I don’t have dillusions of granduer and aspire to be the next Branson or Trump.
I am a bachelor who happens to be an entrepreneur and I want to have fun and create my own lifestyle while I can.
I would like to have a cool pad and drive a BMW or porsche while I am still single. You only live once and the opportunity to live this way may only come once.

After I am married I could drive a ford Taurus and live in a nondescript neighborhood with school teachers and city workers, wear a JC Penney suit, ect.
After I have a family I can worry about living frugaly so that I can build wealth without having to keep up with the jonses.

Right now this does not appeal to me, it’s just boring to me. I probably am too status concious, but on the other hand I don’t have a wife or kids, so this takes their place for now.:slight_smile:

David

Posted by David MacGown-MI on December 10, 2007 at 12:20:19:

I learned something today…never assume a sellers motivation or reason for selling; regardless of market conditions.

Thank you,
David

Posted by David MacGown-MI on December 10, 2007 at 12:23:37:

Thanks for your sage wisdom tye. David

Try this instead - Posted by roundhouse

Posted by roundhouse on December 12, 2007 at 05:28:51:

Do not pay attention to what wealth brings.
Pay attention to what brings wealth.

Once you build a little wealth, you will not want to squander it showing off with BMWs and fancy houses.

Re: How can I buy a waterfront home? - Posted by Eric in FL

Posted by Eric in FL on December 11, 2007 at 07:41:26:

How do I know you will be renting one of my units… I hear this story over and over… First, last, and security deposit…