How can I legally release a Lease/tenant? - Posted by Brandon (IL)

Posted by Brandon(IL) on October 18, 2003 at 02:05:12:

Umm, actually I AM the owner/landlord, I am simply asking for the proper legal instrument and process for legally releasing them from the lease…

How can I legally release a Lease/tenant? - Posted by Brandon (IL)

Posted by Brandon (IL) on October 17, 2003 at 20:12:10:

Hey there,

Can anyone please tell me in Illinois how exactly one can legally and correctly release a tenant from a lease? I have roommates that signed a lease with my in my home, and they are moving into a local apartment now. I would like to legally release them and I’m wondering what document would be best and most appropriate?

As usual, any and all help is greatly appreciated,

Brandon (IL)

Re: How can I legally release a Lease/tenant? - Posted by TomC (Md)

Posted by TomC (Md) on October 20, 2003 at 09:51:59:

Here’s a doc I have used:

CANCELLATION OF LEASE

WHEREAS a certain lease was executed between XYZ Properties, LLC, “Landlord” and Jane Doe, “Tenant” and dated on _August 6th, 2003 for the premises at: 123 Cherry Road, Apt 104, Someplace, MD 207xx ; and
WHEREAS, the parties now desire to cancel said Lease;
For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged; the above parties agree that said lease will be terminated and canceled effective September 11th, 2003 . As of which time, Tenant agrees to vacate said premises and agrees to be responsible for the rent obligations up to and including September 15th, 2003. Landlord agrees to refund Tenant $350.00, which is the remaining the balance of the security deposit. With the exception of those rights and obligations accruing prior to said date and which have not been exercised, performed or discharged, all rights and obligations of the parties under said lease shall be canceled and discharged as of said date.

Dated: _________________

Landlord

Tenant

Re: How can I legally release a Lease/tenant? - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on October 18, 2003 at 10:39:38:

I have an “AMENDMENT TO LEASE” document that can be used for any type of amendment including early termination without penalty. I can email it to you if you wish.

Re: How can I legally release a Lease/tenant? - Posted by chris-atl

Posted by chris-atl on October 18, 2003 at 07:43:47:

If you’re the owner/landlord and they want to leave and you want them to leave, just let them go and shread the lease. You don’t have to have any documents. Now, if you want them to stay and fulfill the lease, then the lease should dictate what kind of notice they or you need to give. If they just up and leave, then the lease should also dictate what kind of penalty they are to pay.

Re: How can I legally release a Lease/tenant? - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on October 18, 2003 at 24:48:10:

You wouldn’t release them, the landlord would. And good luck getting the landlord to do so (what’s their incentive?)

NT