How do I find an owner that can't be found? - Posted by Ric Thompson

Posted by Ric Thompson on July 02, 2003 at 12:07:47:

Thanks for the advice. The PI is probably my last option. I’ve already knocked on doors and mailed letters, among dozens of other things.

Yes, I have the husband and wife’s name, their son’s name, when their taxes are due, etc. Just seems like in the past few months, they’ve vacationed to the Bermuda Triangle and disappeared :slight_smile:

How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by Ric Thompson

Posted by Ric Thompson on July 01, 2003 at 12:53:42:

I have found a nice single family home, that I’m sure is vacant. All the county records indicate the couple still lives there. I’ve even tracked down a number for their son, and it’s disconnected. Seems like the whole family has disappeared.

Any other ideas on tracking down the owner?

Re: How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 01, 2003 at 15:59:56:

Ric Thompson------------

This question is asked several times a week.

Do an archive search and read many ideas.

There is an article on the topic in either money ideas or how to do it forum of this CREONLINE.COM website.

Good Investing***Ron Starr

Re: How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by Ric Thompson

Posted by Ric Thompson on July 01, 2003 at 16:10:47:

In all honesty, I don’t think I missed any. Everything I saw on the site I tried first. I even searched the obituaries for the past year or so to see if the people died and had any living relatives.

Trying to get information from the lender on record now, but the aren’t willing to give me any, no matter what I try, including if the loan still exists.

It’s just frustrating and was hoping for new ideas. House is too nice to pass up on. :slight_smile:

Re: How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 02, 2003 at 22:14:58:

Ric Thompson--------------

Try this: put a letter solicitation to the owners into a sealed envelop with their names on the front and a first class postage stamp on it. Enclose this in an envelop to the lender. Ask them to forward it to the owner at the address that they have for the owner.

And I definately agree with Kristine(CA) about contacting neighbors around the house.

If you would list the things you have tried, I’d be happy to list anything I know which is not in your list.

Good InvestingRon Starr**

Re: How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 02, 2003 at 02:39:47:

Bob: if lender on record is getting paid on time, then the owners are probably keeping the property until they are ready to sell. If the loan falls behind, the property will probably foreclose.

Write a letter to the address of the property and see if it gets forwarded. Talk to everyone on the street. Did you try whitepages.com and google searches. Instead of obituaries did you try a social security death index search?

To be honest, the scenario you describes sounds like the owners may be intending to let the house foreclose or people who haven’t dealt with selling it yet. There are A LOT of dead leads in abandoned houses. Keep your eye on this one and make sure you have plenty more in the pipeline.

Just my experience here. Sincerely, Kristine

Re: How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on July 01, 2003 at 20:23:40:

Ric. If you have done your homework and found the owners name, then try the following. Write him a letter stating your interest in the property (everyone recieves mail somewhere), knock on the neighbors doors to see if they know where he is or hire a private investigator. A P.I. can look up any one. If the deal is as you say then be persitant.

Re: How do I find an owner that can’t be found? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on July 02, 2003 at 09:48:40:

"To be honest, the scenario you describes sounds like the owners may be intending to let the house foreclose or people who haven’t dealt with selling it yet. There are A LOT of dead leads in abandoned houses. "

Hi Kristine. This is interesting. I know we keep hearing that we should only deal with motivated sellers. But most of my deals as of late have been abandoned properties by owners (or their heirs) who have decided to let the property go to foreclosure (thus are NOT motivated). I then ask them why let it go for nothing when you can possibly make $5-20k ? Most times, this appeals to what little logic they have left in their brains. But often, you STILL can’t get these people to move.