How do I get a certificate of occupancy? - Posted by Ron M (WA)

Posted by Don Dion on August 19, 2003 at 10:25:28:

You will have to check with the professionals in your area. These issues vary alot from area to area. In the chicago area occupancy means any structure that will be occupied by humans. So offices, residential units, stores ect are all required to be reviewed and a certification issued. As you have prob heard in the news lately even back yard decks need the cert. if your in the city of chicago.

How do I get a certificate of occupancy? - Posted by Ron M (WA)

Posted by Ron M (WA) on August 16, 2003 at 15:06:50:

Hi everyone,

My dad purchased some property about 15 years ago that had a large 2-story pole barn on it. He added siding, and 3 12 ft automatic roll-up doors on cement bays to use for his business. He then added a 2nd story floor the entire length and width of the building (60’x120’) and put in a kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, living room, family room, main bath 2 offices and a full intercom system.

He did a real nice job, but didn’t bother getting a single permit for any of it. The property was appraised at $300,000 back in 1995 when his business needed to pay some taxes and he had to borrow against it. The loan balance is $150,000. As a commercial property, the property which also has a single wide mobile home on it would serve a contractor of small manufacturing facility quite well.

He hasn’t personally lived in the property since 1997, but has had it loaned out to a neighbor for their use as long as they maintain it. His monthly payment of $1,850 is killing him and he needs to get out of it.

He wants me to help him dispose of it, but says that he is concerned that because he didn’t do all the work with permits that he may not be able to transfer the title to the property. Is it true that because of the living/office facility in the upstairs portion of the building that he needs an occupancy permit?

Can anyone tell me how difficult it will be to get an occupancy permit for this property if one is required? Can anyone tell me the best way to go about getting the permit if it is required?

Thanks for all advice.

Ron M (WA)

Re: How do I get a certificate of occupancy? - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on August 17, 2003 at 11:02:39:

Ron, what city is this property in? How much land?

Re: How do I get a certificate of occupancy? - Posted by Don Dion

Posted by Don Dion on August 16, 2003 at 16:03:21:

Better be careful on this one before you approach the city/county for occupancy. Once they are inside if it does not meet code you may have to remove the structure. Also if they have strong permit laws you may have to remove the buildings entirely that were built without permits. I would get a contractor in there to take a look and let you know what he thinks.

Re: How do I get a certificate of occupancy? - Posted by Ron M

Posted by Ron M on August 19, 2003 at 01:45:30:

Tim,

It is in Union Gap which is right next to the Airport in Yakima.

Re: How do I get a certificate of occupancy? - Posted by Ron M

Posted by Ron M on August 19, 2003 at 01:49:04:

Don,

Thanks for the word of caution. Do you think having a contractor or even an engineer of some type do a write up on the property would pull any clout with a city or county? If the property were to only be used for an office and shop and not a personal residence would that make a difference as to whether an occupancy permit is required at all?

Thanks again for your input.

Ron