How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Todd B (Va)

Posted by Nate(DC) on October 16, 2003 at 12:07:33:

I thought BFI was usually dark blue. I believe Waste Management is green. Also a company called USSC in DC has green dumpsters.

NT

How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Todd B (Va)

Posted by Todd B (Va) on October 15, 2003 at 17:22:12:

I have what I think is a fairly unique problem. I have a dumpster on site at a rehab I’m working on which I can’t get rid of. (My original contractor is missing in action. Got thrown in jail for a while, lost most of his crew, and is now hiding out from me, since he owes me some money)

Unfortunately, he is the only one that knows what dumpster company it was. There is no name or identification of any type on the dumpster. I have called all the major dumpster companies, and they say they have nothing at my address. I have described the dumpster color and size to them(greenish, 22ft) and they couldn’t come up with any other companies. Also, they won’t empty or pick up someone else’s dumpster, for legal reasons.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this thing?

Todd B (Va)

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by micheleCO.

Posted by micheleCO. on October 17, 2003 at 12:52:36:

We purchased a property like this from an owner who apparrently hadn’t paid the dumpster bill. The dumpster company refused to pick up the dumster. We called the company to come pick it up. They wouldn’t unless WE paid. We didn’t. The dumpster accidentally rolled into the street where it became the cities problem. They sent someone over to pick it up and billed the dumpster company 3 or 4 times what it would have cost them to pick it up in the first place. Still can’t figure out how it got into the street.

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on October 16, 2003 at 22:19:22:

If there’s no name on it and you’ve called all the dumpster companies in the phone book, look in the throw away papers like the thrifty nickel, etc. Sometimes companies advertize in there that are not in the phone book. If you found your contractor in this type of paper, it’s a good bet he found his dumpster company the same way.
Bill

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Jay(OR)

Posted by Jay(OR) on October 15, 2003 at 21:59:48:

Well, what I did when there was an abandoned car on a property I bought was tow it onto the street, and left it there. Since it blocked traffic, the city came and towed it away within an hour. I never heard a word from them. Anyways, I know you can’t tow your own dumpster (or can you?) but here’s what I’d do. I’d call all of those companies and tell them I have a dumpster I’d like to donate. You may have to pay for the trash, but maybe they’d take the dumpster. Maybe just to cover my butt, I’d call the cops and tell them there was an abandoned dumpster on my property, and I was having it taken away. Well, good luck.

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Michigan Andy

Posted by Michigan Andy on October 15, 2003 at 21:08:34:

I would ask one of the other trash hauling companies for the number of the local landfill or incinerator. Talk to the scale operator and I would bet that he/she would know who it belongs to after you describe it.

Not sure who posted it, but not all dumpster companies give a crap how long you keep their box, I just recently found out. After paying thousands and getting sweated, I just found a large company that I plan on doing business with for many years to come.

Let us know how your deal turns out.

AJ

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Gene Texas

Posted by Gene Texas on October 15, 2003 at 20:50:09:

Something very close to this happened to me about 2 yrs ago except we had the # of the co. but they just wouldn’t ever come & get it. As I recall, we went to the local Justice of The Peace & she had a sherriff’s sergant call the co. up & threatened to put the driver in jail if it wasn’t removed in 3 days. I’m not sure but I think the charge would have been tresspassing. I also think the JP was planning on issuing some kind of order stating the dumpster was abandoned & authorizing a different company to pick it up. The driver didn’t want the cops at his house so he got it THAT day!!!

Gene Texas

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by TomC (Md)

Posted by TomC (Md) on October 15, 2003 at 18:00:51:

Bet it goes away all by itself in less than 30 days - every time I have rented a dumpster, the various companies have ony allowed me to keep it for 30 days before they required me to have it pulled or replaced with another empty one (so that they can make their money). I’d just fill it up and wait!

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 15, 2003 at 17:33:37:

Todd,
did someone recommend this contractor? Did he give you any references? Anybody else you know, that has used him? Any other projects, that he’d done, that you’re aware of? If so, contact them and see, if they know who he used in the past. Chances are, that he keeps using the same company.

Good luck

Michaela

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Todd B (Va)

Posted by Todd B (Va) on October 15, 2003 at 21:09:30:

>

This one is already full, and I need another, not to mention needing to pave the driveway. It has been in place for over 3 months already, so I don’t know if they are just going to come get it or not. I hope so. Did they contact you before they picked it up? Or did they just come on the 30th day?

Todd B (Va)

Re: How do I get rid of this dumpster?Clinton, MD - Posted by Todd B (Va)

Posted by Todd B (Va) on October 15, 2003 at 20:58:46:

>

Well, I was able to contact his former partner, who tried to contact him, but was unable to do so. This former partner thought they generally used a company called BFI. The dumpster color is a fairly close to BFI. However, I called BFI and they claimed that it is not theirs. I do intend to follow up with them, just in case the person I spoke with was mistaken.

Todd B(Va)