How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by Jim

Posted by David C on February 10, 2000 at 01:48:55:

It is somewhat real estate specific, in that Hopkins made his mark as a r.e. agent, but don’t let that turn you off.

As you learn more selling skills you’ll find that training bleeding over into the way you relate and deal with everybody from your boss to your kids. And life will be better. Not just in your investment biz. All parts of it.

Hopkins systematically leads you thru what sales people say are their most difficult problems down to the simpilist. I haven’t seen a sales book written for just rei’s, but check the book out of the library and read thru the first three chapters. You’ll know if it will give you what you want.

Peace and Profits

David C

How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on February 09, 2000 at 19:50:47:

How come none of the guru’s teach Sales skills ?

Can anyone recommened a good sales course or book ?

Thanks Jim

How to Sell Yourself to Others - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on February 10, 2000 at 16:21:33:

“How to Sell Yourself to Others” is an excellent book to start with in addition to the others mentioned. It is by Elmer Wheeler. They called him “Mr Sizzle” and his strategies “Sizzlemanship” for his phrase “Don’t sell the steak - sell the SIZZLE”.

I echo the comments about Joe Girard, Zig Ziglar and the others.

Re: How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by John (MI)

Posted by John (MI) on February 10, 2000 at 15:52:09:

I have found that there are a number of great books and courses on the subject. I would second the opinion offered that “How to Win Freinds and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie is a great one. However, I have found that the book SPIN Selling has helped me the most. I first used the principles from the book in selling software. The book as I remember was very clinical and dry, aimed at selling high priced intangibles. I feel that it can still be applied to RE. Last weekend I asked a question of a prospective tenant/buyer based upon the principles of spin selling that made them turn a 180. They told me originally that the house was too small, and that the option consideration was too high. I asked an “implication question” (the I in SPIN) based on the prospective buyers current “problems” (you quessed it, the P in SPIN)and in answering the question they sold themselves. I pick up the check this weekend.

I have found the technique of SPIN selling to be extremely effective. I can think back to a number of sales situations and remember the exact question that sealed a sale, RE and elsewhere. The book does not give you a list of questions to ask, rather you work through the Situation, Problem, Implication, and Need Payoff? questions to let the prospective buyer sell themselves. It works wonders for me

Re: How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on February 10, 2000 at 10:02:13:

How to win friends & influence people.by Dale carnegie.

Re: How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on February 10, 2000 at 04:11:11:

Actually I believe that most of the “Guru’s” teach sales skills. This is a sales business. You may not be getting the sales lecture that you invisioned, but it’s in there. That is why some of these courses are so good, because they are showing you specific techniques that work in a certain niche or market.

For me, sales equates to negotiation. I have read many books and listened to many courses on the topic. I apply them and then review to see what I could do better. I have gained a lot but have a long way to go. Education is never ending.

The book that I found the best for me so far is “Roger Dawson’s Secrets of Power Negotiating”. He rereleased this book this year so the title may be slightly different, but not hard to find. I think it runs about $22. His tape course retails for about $60 but can be bought through different online auctions for $10. This is a very inexpensive and quality education. I prefer the book, but the tapes were a good reinforcement.

Best Wishes For Your Success,

Tony-VA

Re: How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by David C

Posted by David C on February 09, 2000 at 22:36:23:

Greetings Jim!

I would highly recommend Tom Hopkins “How to master the art of Selling” as a first step in learning selling/people skills. The reason this book is first on my list of many is he spells out specific phrases, techniques, and scripts covering everything from phone skills to handling objects over price or payments. In other words he gives you things you can read and use today, and it is written for the beginner, (even though “old hands” get plenty out of it every time they read it.)

Peace and Profits

David C

Re: How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on February 09, 2000 at 20:53:17:

Hi Jim–

Good question!!! In order to be a successful real estate investor one must learn “people” skills as well as skills related to finding property, acquisition techniques, finance methods, etc. People skills involve getting people to like and trust you so that you can persuade them to work with you. Much of this is psychological. I have seen numerous instances of would-be investors talking big but falling flat on their faces as a result poor “people” skills. These skills are taught in many ways including negotiating training (always smile and nod) used by professional mediators, arbitrators, diplomats, and hostage negotiators as well as businessmen (best book for negotiation techniques as opposed to theory: Karrass’ Give and Take), psychological aspects of persuasion (best book: Cialdini’s Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion). Salesmanship skills are really are strong part of the education that real estate investors need to acquire in order to relate to buyers, sellers, renters, brokers, bankers, attorneys and so on. I have always believed that the most knowledgeable people writing on these subjects are people who have done them. Who is more likely to know how to sell, successful salespeople or academics in ivory towers (you can see my bias)? In any case, Jim, I prefer books such as Joe Girard’s How to Sell Yourself and his later book, How to Close Every Sale. He was a car salesman and was (is?) listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having sold the more cars than anyone. Also good are other “how I did it” books by many top salesmen in the fields of insurance and securities. These people take numerous courses put on in their industries on salesmanship. I have read many good books by real estate agents and investors, but have never found a good one on salesmanship skills in this neglected area. (I can mention several more titles by top salespeople in other fields if anyone wants.) By the way, I can also highly recommend Thomas J. Stanley’s new book, The Millionaire Mind. A must read for us investors. --Eduardo

Re: How do I learn some good Sales skills ? - Posted by Steve (NY)

Posted by Steve (NY) on February 09, 2000 at 20:47:33:

Jim,

There are many great books on selling. Go to your local book store and look under Sales/Marketing. A couple of my favorites are “Zig Zigler on Selling” by Zig Zigler, and anything Tom Hopkins writes.

I entered the sales feild 6 years ago without a clue about how to sell. After almost quitting, I bought a few books and applied the techniques. Now I’m the #1 producer in our company. I don’t tell you this to brag, (well mabye just a little :slight_smile: but to let you know that anyone with determination can learn how to sell!

Good luck.

-Steve

And practice - Posted by John (MI)

Posted by John (MI) on February 10, 2000 at 15:55:00:

Most importantly, practice any skills that you may learn from a book. Practice on your friends, family, actual deals. It will be scary and maybe awkward at first, but practice and refining your own interpersonal skills will be your best teacher.

So this book … - Posted by Chris (FL)

Posted by Chris (FL) on February 09, 2000 at 23:31:06:

is real estate specific ? That would be interesting.

Re: So this book … - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 10, 2000 at 11:58:40:

In addition, his other book, “How to List and Sell Real Estate,” or something similar, is one I have read a couple times and find invaluable.

While (obviously) directed at real estate agents, the situations he covers are many of those which we as investors encounter daily. He includes many specific examples of dealing with objections, building relationships with sellers, etc. that are more than worth the price of the book.

Brian (NY)