How Do I Write An "Executive Overview?" - Posted by Big Harold

Posted by Randy (SD) on October 20, 2003 at 14:10:34:

An Executive Overview is a crucial part of a business plan.
Contents:
1.Title Page
2.Introduction
3.What is the Business Strategy?
4.Why is the Business Strategy Important?
5.Market and competition
6.Business Development
7.Current and Future market and growth in the Business
8.References
9.Acknowledgments

How Do I Write An “Executive Overview?” - Posted by Big Harold

Posted by Big Harold on October 20, 2003 at 13:33:51:

Hello again all,
I’ve finally contacted a hard money lender that will do my loan based solely on the property. He’s asked me for an “executive overview” of the project, for him and his partners to scrutinize, before proceeding. They’ll lend up to $1M dollars, so if I get this right, I could really be rolling from here. My question is, what all is entailed in an executive overview? Exactly how do I present this? Is there an acceptable format? Thanks in advance for all your help - the great people on this forum have launched my very lucrative career! I definitely couldn’t have done it without you.

Harold Wilson
Real Estate Investor

Re: How Do I Write An - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on October 21, 2003 at 12:56:34:

Hard-money lenders typically lend on the basis of the property, rather than on the basis of you. There is a mixing of terms here - an “executive overview”, as the respondents posted below, would be part of an overall business plan. No one would ever put together a complete business plan for one single residential property, and no experienced HML would ask for that.

The way this usually breaks down is, 65% max LTV, with value being based on ARV (after-repaired value), usually around 15-18%, 5 or so points, 30 year amortization, interest only payments, short (1 year or less) balloon. Usually, you give them the address of the property, they have an appraiser they work with do an “as-is” and ARV appraisal, and a lot of them provide a laundry list of necessary repairs to get to ARV. If any of the money is to be used for repairs, it’s often escrowed for contractors to draw on at checkoff points.

If you’re dealing with someone who wants a full-up business plan, with executive summaries, competitive analysis, pro-forma financials, etc., you may be dealing with a commercial player who will have a hard time understanding what you are looking to do. Just make sure everyone is on the same page.

How Do I Write An - Posted by E.Eka

Posted by E.Eka on October 20, 2003 at 15:09:29:

THis is my honest opinion:

If you’re dealing with big ballers (Those who are willing to invest up wards of $1million) you want to make sure you’re COMPLETELY prepared. If investors see one little ounce of lack of preparation, you can say good bye for ever. If this project of yours is worth large sums of money, get someone to prepare you business plan for you, or at least get biz-plan software. You can contact the business department of a local college and have a student do it as a project, or for a smaller fee. Either way, if it’s work the effort of putting together a biz plan or executive summary, which is what they are asking, make sure it jumps out at them and most importantly, your numbers make sense.

An Executive summery or overview is an intregal part of the biz-plan and gives the potential investor a synopsis of the project. Check the internet for examples of biz plans.