How do you become a master negotiater? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Lori Samson on June 10, 2000 at 21:46:18:

You called yourself a ‘newbee’ and this is my definition:

A Wantabee is someone who is learning but has never done their first deal. A Newbee is one who is out there doing something but is still wet behind the ears a little. I coined the ‘WANTABEE’ phrase myself! I remember when I was in the want-to-be-a-investor stage and I still really remember the newbee stage.

No matter where you are at you need to enjoy the journey! If the growth doesn’t hurt just a little you have to try a little harder. Read another book that’s a little over your head because if you stick to it long enough you will find that what you didn’t understand last week you suddenly realize you grasp this week. Make sure you have fun in the process! If you allow yourself to get caught up in the climb of the learning curve, you will tire and begin to lose your vision and passion towards real estate. Focus in on one thing at a time and don’t get caught into the main current until you are swimming well. One principle at a time, one idea at a time to absorb and one deal at a time!

If I sound like you have been sat down by your Mom, I’m sorry because it comes natural after having 5 kids! That’s why I have no problem speaking in front of people… I’m a MOM so lecturing comes with the territory!
Good Luck!
Lori

How do you become a master negotiater? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on June 09, 2000 at 19:52:12:

What are some of the better books or courses on sales/negotiating techniques?

Any that specialize in Real Estate?

I believe to get really good at REI you have to Sale any comments?

Chester Karrass is Excellent - Posted by Steve Carlson

Posted by Steve Carlson on June 14, 2000 at 24:01:59:

See his Web site www.karrass.com. I attended the two day training class and it was in the top 5 of all siminars I’ve been to. The principles, strategies taught (and implemented) have saved me 30X+ the cost of the class in less than one year.

Getting to Yes - Posted by JohnWe (NoCA)

Posted by JohnWe (NoCA) on June 09, 2000 at 21:25:45:

I’ve read Roger Dawson’s book, the Secrets of Power Negotiating. It’s very good.

I’ve heard really good things about Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher. I heard this from a guy that would be considered an expert in this field. I haven’t read it yet, but I will soon.

Hope that helps.

Re: How do you become a master negotiater? - Posted by Tim W. (NJ)

Posted by Tim W. (NJ) on June 09, 2000 at 20:07:55:

I purchased Roger Dawson’s “The Secrets of Poer Negotiating” several years ago, way before I ever thought of REI. Surprisingly, much of what is tought today in REI courses is all based on the same info found in his program.

I’m not saying this is the best program out there, but I found it quite informational and on-target.

Re: Getting to Yes - Excellent book (nt) - Posted by The Baze

Posted by The Baze on June 09, 2000 at 21:52:02:

Re: COURAGE, INTEGRITITY, HONESTY ! - Posted by Lori Samson

Posted by Lori Samson on June 10, 2000 at 24:55:56:

Learn these and you will have the foundation. Listen to what people are truely saying and you will gain respect. Have enough courage to want to see from their eyes first and you will be a communicater! Communicate well and you can write a book yourself!
Seriously you can read all the books in the world and still not be able to hear anyone but yourself! If you are the only one talking you are not negotiating because to negotiate there has to be more then one person involved. My first partner was a missionary kid that grew up in the jungles of Peru and I learned so much from watching and listening to how he communicated with people. If negotiations where getting a little rough he would start asking questions and then would relate what they had just said into a story. Grant it he had some very adventurious stories having grown up in the jungle but I could watch peoples’ faces change as they would listen to him. His key was to listen to THEM, place yourself in their shoes for a moment and then relate it to some experience you have had. He never tried to ‘out do’ their problem or situation just related to them.Hope this causes you to sit back in your chair and re-read it to see the depth. If you are reading it twice you are a listener. If you read it once you may only hear yourself. Think about it! I’ve been called a good negotiater but I think of myself as a good listener! Lori

Re: COURAGE, INTEGRITITY, HONESTY ! - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on June 10, 2000 at 20:56:10:

Lori,

Great advice. You must first be a good listener. God gave us two ears and one mouth. You do twice as much listening as you do talking.

Take care.

Re: COURAGE, INTEGRITITY, HONESTY ! - Posted by kelly

Posted by kelly on June 10, 2000 at 19:42:11:

I’m a newbie here and that was a great post.