How do you find a GOOD ACCOUNTANT? - Posted by Tony James

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on March 06, 2000 at 17:57:08:

Jason,

I didn’t carry on a long conversation with Mr. Kiyosaki, but, like most people I look up to, I found his observations to be very enlightening.

No, I haven’t played Cash Flow. However, there were several folks who stayed up until 3 a.m. one night during the convention in Atlanta to play. They looked like they were enjoying the game. :slight_smile:

Bill K. (AZ)

How do you find a GOOD ACCOUNTANT? - Posted by Tony James

Posted by Tony James on March 05, 2000 at 22:12:05:

I am in a situation where I need an accountant. I would like to know what to look for when searching for one. Can someone give me some advice?

Re: How do you find a GOOD ACCOUNTANT? - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 11, 2000 at 21:38:36:

I was told to ask questions like should I show that new hot water heater as a replacement or a plumbing repair. Or sould I put half a roof on in December and the other half in January. A concervative CPA will tell me that the interest I paid to catch up a preforeclosure should be capitalized. An aggressive CPA will tell me to be sure I take title before I pay the back payments so I can write it off in current year.

Good question… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on March 06, 2000 at 21:54:19:

Tony,

I found mine by asking other investors at my local reia meeting who they used and did they like him/her. Also, I called folks out of the yellow pages and asked them some cursory questions over the phone.

It’s amazing the range you get. This task, as well as finding a good re attorney, takes time and patience. By calling and networking, though, you will eventually find the right person you are looking for. I found my accountant thru another investor, and my re attorney through the yellow pages. Both have been absolutely excellent. Both are invaluable members of my team. Take the time and find a good one.

Good luck!

HR

Here’s Something Robert Kiyosaki Told Me - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on March 06, 2000 at 15:52:30:

Tony,

When I asked him about choosing an accountant, he said that he prequalified them by asking them a question.

What’s the question? What’s 2+2?

The accountant who answers 4 disqualifies himself because he’s too rigid, and probably won’t look for other answers. The accountant who answers 5 disqualifies himself because he can’t add. The accountant Robert would use is the one who answers, “What do you want it to be?”

Now, he was being facetious, but I’m sure that you understand the answer. You want one who will work with you to accomplish your goals.

I hope this helps.

Bill K. (AZ)

There are two schools of thought… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on March 05, 2000 at 22:28:31:

some people want an aggressive, creative, cutting edge type of accountant who will save them every penny possible but risks raising red flags with the IRS, others lean towards a vanilla pure type whose reputation is beyond reproach (like the big six)
in the hopes that the IRS, when seeing the big name firm, will not scrutinize the return too intently. It depends on your situation. I have found that those who
have already made plenty of money would rather be left alone and those on the way up are a bit more daring.

Re: Here’s Something Robert Kiyosaki Told Me - Posted by Jason

Posted by Jason on March 06, 2000 at 17:46:46:

Is Mr Kiyosaki as interesting person in real life as he seems to be in his books? Also, have you played his cash flow game? It sounds really interesting.
Thanks
Jason