How do you get to use the Multiple Listing Service? - Posted by Antwan Williams

Posted by Rob FL on June 02, 1999 at 21:40:33:

I can’t tell you how to become a Realtor in Illinois but I can tell you how it is in Florida which is probably at least somewhat similar.

First I take a 45 hour pre-licensing class and pass the test at the end of the course. (This can be done in a one week cram session, if needed) Then I apply for a state license and pass a state test as well. Then I become “employed” by a broker who is a member of the local Realtor’s Association. Then I apply for membership with that local Realtor’s Association. Now you are a Realtor and have access to the MLS.

Some association’s also allow “affiliate” memberships to non-Realtors like appraisers, mortgage brokers, title companies, and sometimes investors. This may be an easier route to go if you can access the MLS.

How do you get to use the Multiple Listing Service? - Posted by Antwan Williams

Posted by Antwan Williams on June 02, 1999 at 14:15:11:

I know one way is to get a hold of a real estate agent that is a realtor that would like to do business with you. But maybe I should reprase my question. How do you go about becoming a Realtor so you can get to the service yourself.

( By the way this is in Illinois)

Do you need a broker to back you before you get your real estate agents licence?

Do you need a broker to back you before you even take the course?

Do you have to work for a certain agency that is part of the NAR for a certain period of time? If so how long?

Do you have to take a test to become a Realtor?

In order to keep your access to the MLS do you have to continue to work for them?