How do you know when you have a reputable builder? - Posted by Nariah

Posted by raelynn mitchell on March 13, 1999 at 11:54:40:

Dun & Bradstreet, as many sole proprietors have business credit files, too.

Hope this helps.

How do you know when you have a reputable builder? - Posted by Nariah

Posted by Nariah on March 12, 1999 at 23:32:54:

My partners and I have just purchased a few lots and we are in the process of contracting with a builder for the job.The question I have is how do you check the quality of their work besides asking for references and calling the BBB? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: How do you know when you have a reputable builder? - Posted by DJ Busch

Posted by DJ Busch on March 14, 1999 at 13:56:41:

Nariah,

I’m not sure which state you live in, but in Florida, all (and I mean ALL) contractors are required to be licensed by the state. This serves two very important purposes. First, it eliminates overcharging, and second, it ensures that each contractor will do the work the right way, or risk losing their license. If someone submits a complaint to the state, the state investigates the contractor, and has been known to revoke licenses for shoddy work.

Check into your state’s licensing laws…and support mandatory licensing…it’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

Hakuna Matata

DJ Busch

If Incorporated, Check Secretary of State - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on March 13, 1999 at 11:52:29:

in which builder is incorporated for any complaints or other problems. Also verify with the Sec. of State that the corporation is “in good standing”. (If they’re not, they haven’t paid their bills to the state, so they may not pay any subcontractors, either.) Ask if they have a Dun and Bradstreet number, get it, and pull a credit check to find out how they pay their bills. If they DON’T have a D & B number, you can GENERATE one for them by calling 800-333-0505 and asking for info on the company. D & B will notice they don’t have them in their files and contact them and do a great deal of research to GET them into their files so that they can give you an answer about that company’s credit history.

If they don’t pay their subcontractors, the subs may file mechanics liens. Those liens are the responsibility of the General Contractor, but guess what? They attach to the PROPERTY.

Depending on where you are, they may or may not be required to be licensed. If they are, make sure they DO have a license. (Where I live, CA, you can barely BREATHE without a license ;-}

Also, if the company is incorporated, pull an officers list. Run a credit check on each of the officers. It will give you a general idea about how they pay their bills, therefore how they direct the company to pay its bills.

This list is not all-inclusive, but it’s what comes to mind off the top of my head.