How do you market? - Posted by Doug

Posted by CLAIR_MO on March 05, 2002 at 11:28:47:

The marketing letter gives evidence of your sincerity in getting a reply from the seller whether he/she is motivated seller or not about their property. The letter gives evidence to the seller that you are interested in their property buying with ALL CASH on YOUR TERMS! The sellers who calls are usually interested in selling but this isn’t always the case. I try to become a FRIEND with the seller so he feels comfortable enough to deal with me as RE investor. If the seller isn’t interested in selling right now he/she will have the letter as a business card.

How do you market? - Posted by Doug

Posted by Doug on March 04, 2002 at 13:01:29:

Listen, I don’t have a lot of money to burn. I ain’t going to put up bandit signs or flyers and get fined all day long. They are illegal, and don’t tell me there not! I ain’t going to call FSBOs and get blown off. They think we are scammers. I believe in this business. Can I get enough leads through ads and business cards? Because that’s all I can do now. I plan on putting out five cheapo ads every week at $25 a pop. At the same time I ordered 1000 biz cards. When I’m done with the first 1000, I will reload. So tell me guys, does this sound good? Or will this go bust. Be honest. I don’t want to get burned!

How I Market for Properties - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on March 07, 2002 at 11:12:20:

1.) Bandit Signs (in areas where I want to buy)
2.) Flyers (in my target neighborhoods)
3.) Business Cards (everywhere)
4.) Billboards (on major roads near my target neighborhoods)
5.) Magnetic Signs on vehicles
6.) Direct Mail Post Cards
7.) Small Classified Ads in local newspaper, PennySaver, etc.
8.) Direct Mail Letters (to Out-of-Town Owners, Abandoned house owners, Amature Landlords, etc.)
9.) Small post-card size ads (on Bulletin Boards at local Laundry-Mats, Local Shops and Stores, etc.)
10.) Real Estate Agents (let them know what you do)
11. Referrals (from clients, friends, lawyers, CPA’s, etc.)
12.) “Bird-Dogs”

This is just some of the ways that work.

No one else I know does this, but I like to walk the neighborhood in my target buying areas. I go door to door and knock. If someone answers the door, or if they are in the yard, I say, “This looks like a really nice house. Have you ever thought about selling it?” This usually starts a conversation which sometimes leads to a good deal. Even if they may not be selling now, they may know of someone in the neighborhood who is thinking about it. I let them know that I pay a referral fee for any leads that turn into a deal for me. Leave them several of your business cards. I have bought more properties from doing this than from any other method. Plus you get some excercise, and you learn more about the area than your competition does!

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Billy

Posted by Billy on March 05, 2002 at 20:37:42:

Doug,
You should really take Paul’s message to heart. You are looking on this site for answers right? If you were sick, would you go to a doctor or to someone who flunked out of medical school? You would go to a doctor. Right? So, where am I going with this? You have an illness (metaphorically speaking). :slight_smile:

Your illness is poor people skills. So, you have two choices. You can stay where your at or yor can change. Sorry if I’m being blunt, but that’s why you posted. Right? You need answers. And this site is full of doctors.

I once heard the quote, “Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it’s open.” Doug, your parachute obviously was open at some point, because you are here on this site. You’re a smart guy; you just need a little guidance. I have two suggestions: 1. read something that will move you forward in personal growth everyday for no less than 15 min per day, 2. put those things you’ve read into action.

A good book for you to read would be How to Win Friends and Influence People - by Dale Carnegie. This is a must read book.

I believe YOU can do it! But, YOU have to believe you can do it before things begin to happen. Thomas Eddison wouldn’t have invented the light bulb if he didn’t believe he could. YOU CAN DO IT!

Take care, God bless!
Billy

Must Use Many Methods - Posted by Scott Ashbaugh

Posted by Scott Ashbaugh on March 04, 2002 at 21:55:59:

Doug,

If you read through this site, the “How To” articles and the “Money Making” articles as well as all the discussions you see that the real pro’s are using 4, 5 even 6 to 8 methods, ALL THE TIME. Yes you can get a deal with just cards, maybe not as likely, but it can happen. Mail some letters, not blindly, but targeted at people in trouble. Dig into some houses that appear to be real dogs, they need a good owner sto step in and turn them around, word of mouth, post some flyers, put up a few bandit signs. The key is KEEP DOING IT! You will eventually hit someone who just got laid off, divorce papers served, I’ve had people call me up after their son died, and he owned 5 rental properties, they knew they didn’t want to manage them. You just never know when or where. If it were easy any slug could do it, but it ain’t. Persevere… and best of luck!

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Paul S

Posted by Paul S on March 04, 2002 at 15:24:58:

I do not mean to offend you in any way. I’m just going to share what I do, and you can take it for what it’s worth. I have bandit signs at several locations and they are legal because I have a good relationship with land owners at several strip malls. I also have my cards in card holders at numerous shops on the sales counter- again because I have a good relationship with the owners.

I don’t mean to offend- but this business (as all businesses) is about relationships. It doesn’t sound like you’ve figured that out. Your post all by itself might be a fluke, or it might be an indication of “needs improvement” in the people skills department.

Marketing is only one aspect of the business. Ultimately we are selling. It is easier to sell when people know you, know what you do, and like you. Then they will think of you when the topic arises and you can worry less about marketing because you’ll have more incoming phone calls than you’d be able to handle anyway. I am always turning down deals now- I don’t chase them, and I never did. Do yourself a favor- get some more information on this site (others, too if you wish), get to know people in your area who are actually doing this and just observe and learn from them.

Free marketing - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on March 04, 2002 at 15:10:36:

So you won’t do this and you won’t do that. Also you are stingy, tight with a buck, opinionated and lazy.

All right! My kind of guy!

Now let’s see how many ways we can find to get you a deal for nothing.

1. Word of mouth. Open your mouth and give them the word. Tell everyone that you buy houses and apartments. I mean EVERYONE, friends relatives co-workers the mailman people in stores. Especially the mailman, do you know how many houses he delivers to every day, and he knows who is moving, which ones are empty etc. You don’t have to be obnoxious, just drop it into the conversation. Does anyone ever say, “Hi what’s new?” Well tell them you are looking for a RE deal. I have gotten as many as 2 good leads a week this way and I am practically a recluse compared to the real live wires on this board.

2)Signs on your car. They are not expensive and last for years. If you don’t want to spend the money you can paint them on yourself with house paint if you are artistic.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Scot - SoCal

Posted by Scot - SoCal on March 04, 2002 at 14:02:08:

I’m no marketing wiz or anything, but I’ve learned a lot in the last year from trial and error. So let me pass along what I’ve learned.

1. Make your ad SCREAM! This is no time for trial and error. Use the ads that work ALREADY. Copy the ones here depending on what type of deals your looking for.

2. You’ll get a few calls from the newspaper ads, and the price is very good (depending on the ##s it reaches). Now what are you going to say when the few calls do come in???

Practice your ‘chops’ on the FSBO calls. Call them, get the butterflys out of your stomach and get a little practice dealing with people and feeling comfortable. Who cares if they don’t listen to what you have to say! Most FSBOs won’t deal with you, but then again you might find one… buat that’s not why your calling anyway. Then when you get a call on your ad, you have some practice talking to sellers and you’ll notice a difference in motivation level.

1. Don’t spend all your money at once. Spread the money out. Instead of doing 20 ads for one week, do one good ad for 20 weeks. After your ad is there for a while, people are more likely to call.

2. Don’t give up! Make this a long term goal and stick to it. Market. Educate. Pratice. Market some more, then repeat.

And re-think the bandit signs or at least the flyers. You’ll get the most ‘bang for your buck’ with those.

Let me be honest - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 04, 2002 at 13:46:52:

Doug,

Let me say that you post comes off as being pretty arrogant. That may not be your intention, but that is how I see it. You may want to change that, otherwise people will not be very responsive.

Just an idea,

Tim Jensen

Re: How do you market? - Posted by CLAIR_MO

Posted by CLAIR_MO on March 04, 2002 at 13:45:20:

Doug, I have copied a letter of Kevin Meyers who is REI in Utah, I like the letter because it is to the point and not offensive to the seller! It serves like a business card with all the information you would have on a business card if you would like to see a copy please email me. I think it would be a better marketing tool than a busness card!!!

Re: How do you market? - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on March 04, 2002 at 13:41:19:

Sounds good to me. I started out with 1 ad for $22. I
didn’t have business cards, a catchy corp name, not
even money for the earnest deposit. After about 2 weeks
I got a solid lead (2 family), 2 more weeks of homework
and negotiations I signed it up for $30K flipped it for
$49.9 without a buyers list. Can it be done? Sure

GregNY

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on March 04, 2002 at 13:17:14:

If you’re going to try to do it on business cards alone - they better be darn tooten good. Best cards I’ve seen are the one’s recommended by David Finkle and Peter Conti. Tent style and Bright Orange - they get your attention and are a mini marketing message all in one.

Regarding your comment on flyers. I don’t think they are illegal if you walk door to door. Putting flyers or business cards on people’s cars may be, however.

Regarding calling FSBOs - It’s all about your approach.
I wouldn’t throw that tool away, just because some people may blow you off or think you’re scamming them. Ask some non-threatening questions early in the call to see if they’re motivated, if not - THANKYOUVERYMUCH - GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HOUSE and move on. When you find someone who is motivated - they’ll be HAPPY to talk to you.

Best of luck and

No - I don’t think ads and business cards will be enough.

Heidi

Market? - Posted by Doug

Posted by Doug on March 04, 2002 at 13:08:10:

In my opinion. If I get out 500 cards, that will equal one deal. If I hand out 1000 business cards, I will get two deals. My goal is to hand out 10,000 business cards. Not in each persons hands, but anywhere I can stick! Cars, shopping carts, inserted in freebie newspaper boxes. Anywhere! Does this sound like a good idea? Or I’m I wasting my time?

Re: The Marketing Letter - Posted by CLAIR_MO

Posted by CLAIR_MO on March 04, 2002 at 16:11:12:

CFM REAL ESTATE 231 E. BERKELEY STREET
INVESTMENTS SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI 65807 Telephone: (417) 886-9148
Email: cmcmanigal@mchsi.com

Some day…you will want to sell your house
I would like to buy it - all cash!

Re: Don Jones
12345 E. Burt St.
Springfield, MO 65804

Dear Mr. Jones,

Let me introduce myself to you , Mr. Jones. My name is Clair McManigal and I?m a private individual (not a realtor) who invests in single family homes in the Springfield area. I am particularly interested in homes located in the neighborhood of your property at 12345 E Burt Street.

I know that your house is not currently for sale. However, someday you may want to sell and I would appreciate the opportunity to see the house and perhaps make you an offer. What are the advantages in working directly with me? Let me highlight a few of the important benefits to you…

? No real estate sales commissions, saving you
at least 6%
? No hassles with loan approvals or other financing issues-I pay all cash!
? Quick closing-usually within about 15 days from the acceptance of offer
? Eliminates the inconvenience of showing your home at odd hours
? No problems with ?contingency offers?

I hope these advantages are appealing to you and that you will seriously consider allowing me to inspect the home and make you an offer, when you decide to sell. Please keep my business card handy and feel to contact me at any time.

Sincerely yours,

Clair McManigal

PS. I would appreciate some feed back on this letter as a Marketing Tool!

Re: How do you market? - Posted by JJJ - FL

Posted by JJJ - FL on March 04, 2002 at 14:29:56:

I would DEFINETLY like a copy of that letter!! Why not just post the contents here is Kevin wouldn’t mind?

Thanks…

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Tony in MI

Posted by Tony in MI on March 04, 2002 at 13:49:55:

Clair I would like a copy of you letter to compare to mine if you don’t mind?

Thank-you

Tony in MI

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Robin(OR)

Posted by Robin(OR) on March 05, 2002 at 24:21:28:

If you made 20k on your first deal in less than a month with no money down and only spent $22 in advertising, you should write an article for the “Success Stories” section! I’d love to hear the details.

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Doug

Posted by Doug on March 04, 2002 at 13:25:16:

Tell me what you do to market?

Re: Market? - Posted by Janice

Posted by Janice on March 04, 2002 at 13:31:12:

Let’s see… 1 deal per 500 cards, average net from deal: $20,000, price for 1000 cards, $30, if my math is correct that means you’ll be able to get 50 deals and $1,000,000 in profit after an initial outlay of only $750!

That is genius! Why didn’t I think of that?!!??

Good luck!

Re: The Marketing Letter - Posted by Aaron

Posted by Aaron on March 05, 2002 at 09:46:43:

warning…newb question follows

Would this type of deal be where YOU are not really spending your cash, but lining up a buyer?

If a seller still has a mortgage against his property, and you pay cash, what exact benefit does this give the seller?