How Long To Hold Paper? - Posted by NJ

Posted by David Alexander on April 02, 1999 at 20:25:04:

That depends on a lot of things. I don’t mean to sound vague but, in order for You to answer that question you have to know your own exit. To me a Deal is put together when…

1. When you find out the sellers problem.
  2. You present a solution to their problem.
  3. They accept your solution.
  4. You do the deal, and you now execute your exit.

But every offer you make, you must know your exit.
That is… How long you plan on being in the deal, your profit, how your going to get your profit, the risks etc.

You also need to know your long and short term goals, for instance mine currently are in the next year to create Cash flow, Cash flow and then more Cash flow, even if I have to live like a pauper to do it. The reason is because after that I plan on attacking HUGE DEALS as big as I can possibly imagine, to get after the huge chunks of CASH. Thats just my plan, you have to decide yours. And when you do, you will structure all your deals accordingly.

David Alexander

How Long To Hold Paper? - Posted by NJ

Posted by NJ on April 02, 1999 at 17:23:47:

When you are negotiating a deal how long do you typically ask the seller to hold the paper, I realize this is a negotiable item but I’m looking for a genarality.

As long as possible - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on April 02, 1999 at 23:48:12:

Next to the seller agreeing to sell for 60% or so of value the next best thing is owner financing. Sooner or later he will discount it, substitute or subordinate or some other way that is better for you. Offer him a balloon in a few years and you take away his incentive to do things later.