how much do you pay for a long-term keeper? - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on July 30, 2003 at 06:32:21:

Well, I guess every market has it’s opportunities.

I should hope your appreciation is better than our market.

Fortunately, these opportunities are out there. I just don’t see how making anything less per home/per month makes any sense, considering all the risks, work, etc.

how much do you pay for a long-term keeper? - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on July 29, 2003 at 16:21:48:

I’m shooting for $300/month cash flow on keepers, accepting nothing less than $250/month.

Right now, I’m looking at two duplexes, in a lower-class neighborhood.

What I’m wondering is this?

Is it normally possible to maintain those kinds of cash flow standards on a duplex, that I have on SFH’s?

Do you find that there are any economies of scale on a duplex, or is the management more or less the same as two SFH’s on the same block?

Thanks!

Don’t make me drool. - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on July 29, 2003 at 19:26:32:

Where I live it is almost impossible to get pos cash flow on houses, and $50 to $100 per unit per month on a duplex would be good.

This is after allowing for all expenses including interest on your down payment.

Pos cash flow is usually only possible on 3, 4 units or more. Unless you are a shrewd shopper and buy fixer uppers.

In other words the more rental units in one building the more positive cash flow.

Apartment owners do tend to be more demanding than house tenants. But if you had 2 houses instead of one duplex you would have twice as many tax bills, insurance bills and twice as many roofs etc.

Real economies of scale start with larger places like over 4 units.