How much /how long to re-wire the house? - Posted by A

Posted by HR on February 03, 2002 at 09:40:58:

Colley,

You are absolutely right that the cost depends on the scope of work. Given the minute detail you have provided, however, I would say you overpaid and let the job drag, too. Time is money. Again, the licensed guys I use, filing permits, swarming the thing with 8 guys would get this whole thing done (fishing wires, moving service, upgrading from fuses to breakers, new switches and outlets, etc) in 3 days, max. It’s only a 800 sf house!

Since we don’t know all the details, the bottom line remains: double check your figures, get multiple bids, and find electricians who work primarily for contractors.

$3500 and two weeks? Never in my market. At least, not with the right guys.

HR

How much /how long to re-wire the house? - Posted by A

Posted by A on February 01, 2002 at 16:47:56:

Hi all!

Question about electrical work: how much is a good bid to re-wire the whole house? The house is in Houston TX, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 900 sqft. Has double-board walls, i.e. boards under the sheetrock on the inside. Need to replace the electrical panel (suggested 125A), plus all the wiring in the walls and attic, install some additional outlets, and a few dedicated circuits (for fridge, dishwasher, GFCI outlets etc.)
Also, how long would be reasonable time for this work? So far I got $3500 and 3-4 weeks time! Is this horrible or what?! (This is our first rehab).

Re: How much /how long to re-wire the house? - Posted by CReed

Posted by CReed on February 01, 2002 at 17:53:20:

There are a lot of variables…Are they rewiring completely(fishing in new wires or leaving older wiring and upgrading outlets), Is the service being moved or relocated, is the company a one man show or a crew? $3500 is not bad depending on what is being asked, especially if they are actually doing permits (as they should for your benefit and theirs). We just completed a rehab and redid the electrical…pretty much the same style of home it sounds like and it took 2 people 2 weeks to redo and the service was left alone…lath and plaster walls (fished not knocked out). It cost us almost that much and the guy was retired…

Remember this: You get what you pay for too…especially with electrical, it is worth paying for reputation!

Colley

Beyond horrible… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on February 01, 2002 at 17:47:50:

A,

All prices are based on your local market, and those prices can vary, so your costs in Houston may vary significantly from mine in New Orleans. Having said that, these are horrible prices and time frame.

3-4 weeks? The licensed electricians I hire would rewire the place and hang all light fixtures in 2-3 days. And the cost would be around $2300, max. Maybe $1800-2300, depending on difficulty of the job.

What do you mean by “double boarded?” Do you mean plaster and lathe? Alot of the cost depends on the type of construction of the home.

I would get some more bids.

Good luck,

HR