How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by Izzy (NY)

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on July 23, 2003 at 05:51:01:

My carpet guy is always on the lookout for used carpet that he gets from new installs. He brings it out to my units and installs it @ $4.00 a yard. Perhaps you could get hooked up woth a good installer.

How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by Izzy (NY)

Posted by Izzy (NY) on July 22, 2003 at 18:07:43:

I have never carpeted a unit beore, always went with tiles.

i’m now about to carpet a few units, and want to know, how much should carpet cost per square foot? and do any of you use “commercial” carpet in a apartment unit??

Thanks!

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on July 22, 2003 at 22:21:48:

carpet prices vary greatly depending upon the market and quality. I do put commercial carpet in some of my rental bathrooms, but not anywhere else (that stuff just looks wild on the roll).

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 22, 2003 at 21:22:45:

Izzy–(NY)--------------

Nice to talk to you again.

Brent(IL) is referring you to a discussion of FREE carpet.

But, if you don’t go that way, I’d suggest you check out Lowe’s and Home Depot. You will see carpet at about $7 - 10 a yard. I was in HD yesterday and they had a sign: “Free padding.” I asked about that, and they include it only with installation. I don’t know the quality of the “free pad.”

I like to use better than average pad. If you do so, you can use lower than average carpet. The carpet is what usually gets damaged, unless the renters have pets. The old carpet is removed and installed right over the old pad, is my suggestion. Saves money and time.

I often buy used carpet. Usually pay about $2 to $5 a yard. For the higher price, I want very good carpet. Watch out. Make sure that the carpet was taken out as whole rooms. Carpet layers typically take out used carpet by cutting it into 25-30" wide strips. It is virtually impossible to find a carpet layer who will work with that.

I just a couple of days ago got carpeted a house I own with a partner. The occupants or renters had done too much damage to keep it. But that was a commercial carpet of very good quality. A beautiful red color. Very cheery. It lasted something over 10 years, as I recall. And that was carpet from a debris box out front of an office building being remodeled. So yes, I do recommend commercial carpet. Even thinner commercial carpet will probably be good if you have a better-than-average pad put in.

Good InvestingRon Starr*

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on July 22, 2003 at 19:15:19:

http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/10705.html

Try it; you’ll like it.

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by Mark-IL

Posted by Mark-IL on July 22, 2003 at 19:04:00:

The carpet I get installed, either basic plush or berber is approximately $12/yd ($1.33/ft), including the padding.

Huh? - Posted by DaveD(WI)

Posted by DaveD(WI) on July 23, 2003 at 09:07:00:

Hi JD. Just wondering, do you instruct them how to use it? do they use one side or economize by using both sides? Do they throw it into the wshing machine, steam or foam clean? When do you throw in the towel and do a fresh “reroll,” so to speak? Inquiring minds want to know.
-Dave

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on July 23, 2003 at 10:45:36:

Ron,

You are doing very well with new carpet. $7-10 a yard is a great price.

I’m doing about $10-12 for my rentals. Looks like I better start bargin hunting some more.

Regards,

RichV(FL)

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by JimD. - NC

Posted by JimD. - NC on July 23, 2003 at 10:12:31:

I agree with Ronald regarding the pad. I had an interior decorator tell me years ago that he used double padding under the carpet and could get away with less expensive carpet b/c most people can’t tell the diference between good carpet and bad carpet but assume if it’s “cushy” it’s good carpet.

Re: How much should Carpet cost per foot?? - Posted by Jerry Martin NC

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on July 23, 2003 at 05:51:34:

My carpet guy is always on the lookout for used carpet that he gets from new installs. He brings it out to my units and installs it @ $4.00 a yard. Perhaps you could get hooked up with a good installer.