How much to replace a Heat Pump? - Posted by Jay(OR)

Posted by dealmaker on July 10, 2007 at 04:51:10:

Depends on the size (tonnage) of the unit, the SEER rating and of course the labor. I don’t consider that ridiculously high and I’ve bought 4 of them in the last 4 years.

Unless you have sheet metal ducts I’d almost bet you need ductwork too. A lot of the “older” flex duct is complete crap and it’s almost NEVER installed correctly-too many and too sharp-bends.

Try another dealer and brand. For that kind of money its’ worth getting a couple of bids.

dealmaker

How much to replace a Heat Pump? - Posted by Jay(OR)

Posted by Jay(OR) on July 09, 2007 at 23:14:57:

The ductwork is already there. All I need done is replacing the outside unit and indoor unit.

I got one bid so far, and it was $4,000. That seems ridiculously high, so I wanted to check if anyone had experience on replacing heat pumps.

Thanks, Jay

Always get multiple bids for big purhcases - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on July 10, 2007 at 18:10:14:

NT

Re: How much to replace a Heat Pump? - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on July 10, 2007 at 18:04:30:

Try goodmanmfg.com. Find a local dealer to do the job. My experiance is that they are among the less costly because the equipment is less costly. They have the BEST warranty of all manufacturers. I worked there for 18 years and am still dealing with them. I am a certificied contractor in Florida ( the hardest stste in the union to get a license), I know of what I speek.

Re: How much to replace a Heat Pump? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on July 10, 2007 at 13:55:16:

Most people where I live use heat pumps. That number is not out of line.

LeonNC

Re: How much to replace a Heat Pump? - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on July 10, 2007 at 05:16:49:

The cheap stuff that we used to call builders grade had a 10 SEER rating. Now, to meet current codes, I can’t install anything less than a 13 SEER rating. In a couple of years, you will also have to install a Puron system because the R-22 coolant systems will no longer be legal. Today, more expensive systems are required to meet these code changes.

Contact your electric utility company. Ask if they have a financing program for replacing your current system. I did this for a couple of my properties. They gave me 100% 5-year financing at a favorable rate and a list of approved contractors who can do the work.

I called a couple of the contractors on the list, told them that I was replacing my heat pump system under the utility company’s financing program and asked for quotes for a replacement system that met the program requirements. Once I got a bid, I submitted it to the utility company for approval. They approved the bid, inspected the work when done, then sent me a check to pay for the system in full.