How oddly curious . . . - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on July 01, 2002 at 13:13:17:

How oddly curious . . . - Posted by Steve W (WA)

Posted by Steve W (WA) on June 30, 2002 at 12:24:21:

I advertise with my signs in window of my MHs, and with the weekly ad rag (Little Nickel) - new issue every Thursday. I advertise exclusively in the Manufactured Homes For Sale section. The ads read:

19XX 14 x 66, X bedroom, X bath (if more than one, otherwise, just bedrooms) EZ down, WILL FINANCE, and my phone number.

Short & sweet - I dont want to give a lot of info, I just want to get the calls.

Funny thing, for the last several ads, I get MAYBE one call the first week it runs. But letting it run a second week wears out the ringer on the phone! AND, I often get calls for a week AFTER the ad is gone! So I guess it all evens out.

How curious.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions on this? Why the delay?

Procrastinators… - Posted by Manoj

Posted by Manoj on July 01, 2002 at 09:44:17:

Steve You just found a proof that MOST people are procrastinators.I guess I am not alone…
who reads an adv one week and wait and wait and then respond.

Happy Investing

Your market may just be weak. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA on June 30, 2002 at 19:27:42:

Part of your problem may be because you are using the same publication too often. Why not try different publications because they will have different readerships. I would try advertizing that I will finance with only $500 down ‘to the right party’. Everyone thinks he or she is ‘the right party’ and most people can figure out if they have $500 or not.

I would try to zero in on large apartment complexes if you have any in your area because these renters are in the right income level to buy your mobiles. They may feel too cramped in their apartment without a private yard or have anoying or noisy neighbors, and they have already passed someone’s credit and references test.

In the add I would stress the idea of starting to build some home equity and how their only housing cost will just $225 or so per month for the space rent, when the mobile is paid off in just 3 years.

This will mean more effort on your part because direct mail advertizing will be required. I would also mail to existing mobile home parks, especially the one where your mobile is located because many people living there now would like to bring their friends or other family members such as parents or children to live closer to them. You might be able to get the PMs permission for a one-time distribution of flyers in that park, especially if the PM will be getting any kind of referal fee etc. on the deal.

If you do that your add should specifically ask the current residents if they have any friends or family members who would like to live near them, in addition to mentioning your willingness to finance with only $500 down. The reason is if you don’t, some of them will just think to themselves “how dumb is this guy giving us these ads when we already have a mobile home in this park, scheesh?” Sometimes it really pays to spell it out in simple terms for the Gomers of this world. Well why do you think they are living in a mobile home part in the first place?

Regards, doc

Very slow readers? - Posted by Chris (TX)

Posted by Chris (TX) on June 30, 2002 at 18:02:28:

…sorry, I couldn’t resist :wink:

Same thing happens with my ads sometimes, it’s weird. I’d love to know the answer myself.

Chris

Re: Your market may just be weak. - Posted by timby

Posted by timby on July 01, 2002 at 10:26:48:

With the cost of apartment rentals at an all time high, I believe that MHs are a very good alternative. However, the stigmatism of the MH has been tarnished and in most cases, these jewels are not allowed in many locations. Those people in my area that own parks have a monopoly and are charging $350 to over $400 dollars per month to park a mobile and have few, if any, vacancies. This is driving the people who own to other areas. I would love to have affordable housing for our kids and for those who can’t afford the terrible cost that stick built houses cost. I believe that today?s MHs are build as well as many of today?s homes. I wish people would get over their prejudices and get on with their lives.

Just my 2 Cents

Re: Your market may just be weak. - Posted by Bob (OH)

Posted by Bob (OH) on July 01, 2002 at 24:53:16:

UHMMM…Excuse me please.
Doc, First of all I would like to thank you very much for all you do here. Your knowledge and insight is amazing and very helpfull. I however, as a park manager, would like to remind you that these are now called (according to the department of housing and urban development) Manufactured home communities. The idea of trailer parks is something that goes with the notion that the “trailers” will be moved. In fact, only about 5% of all manufactured homes are ever moved. The mentality of “trailer park trash” has become one that the people who are now living there have become well educated in the housing market and housing construction. Manufactured homes are inspected by HUD. Stick built homes are not. Therefore, the quality and safety of them are above standard over stick built homes. In therory. The residents in my park for example, take pride in their homes and many have very nice “lots”. My park is inspected regularly by the county health deparment. This inspection makes the owner of the park set rules and regulations that the residents must comply with or be evecited. They don’t want that because that could cost them a couple thousand. This however, is not their only motovation. They would like to, someday, get a fair price for their home when they sell. So, I would ask you very kindly not to refer to the people who own and live in manufactured home communities as “gomers”.
Thank you very much.