How to Evict? - Posted by Frank Notaro

Posted by Jim FL on September 24, 2004 at 16:35:16:

Frank,
Landlord tenant laws are VERY specific to locale.
Your best bet, since you’ve never done one before, is to hire an attorney or eviction service to handle the first one.
You may also check with the court clerks office, or Sheriff’s department, as they often have booklets for landlords and tenants regarding their rights and responsibilities with regard to default.

You NEED to serve this person with a notice to pay or move, but, this will be specific to your state.
In mine, its a 3 day notice, in others, its 5, and yet some even longer.
Make sure you follow the law to the letter, or you’ll just waste time, and even more money.

I’d get an attorney, and keep copies of the paperwork so you can replicate it later if need be.

Lastly, two months with no rent?
Why wait so long to serve them, or take action?
My rents are due the first, and the second notices are served to pay or move, giving them 3 days, per state law.
Zero tolerance, you gotta pay to stay with me.
Might be time to strengthen your landlord resolve and be proactive. This is YOUR investment and money you are protecting…not the tenants.

Take care and good luck,
Jim FL

P.s. Call around for a good eviction attorney and shop references as well…other local landlords should know a good source and what rates are decent.

How to Evict? - Posted by Frank Notaro

Posted by Frank Notaro on September 23, 2004 at 20:14:59:

I have a tenant who owes 2 months back rent. She is rarely living in my apartment. She doesn’t return my telephone calls or letters. Last Sunday, I taped a letter to her door. The next day the letter was placed near the door on a window sill. It was not opened. I don’t think she’s been to the apartment since.

I picked up a notice to serve, but I don’t know the correct way to give it to her.

I need help! If anyone with experience has any info it would be greatly appreaciated.

Frank