How to get rid of a house? - Posted by GL(ON)

Re: drop the price - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on November 27, 2006 at 20:46:16:

The market went soft right after I bought. One unit is fairly modern, the other has not been touched since the 70s. Shag rugs, flowered wallpaper, the whole bit. It’s in good shape, just out of date. I can fix it up for a few thousand $$$$ and get another $20,000 or $30,000 on the price. Would prefer to sell as is, but the market isn’t there.

Re: How to get rid of a house? - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on November 27, 2006 at 22:08:06:

Here we go again.

First of all, I had no idea you had stopped selling courses. Not that there is anything wrong with selling courses.

I didn’t cause a ruckus. I answered a question. There then ensued a long discussion about power of sale laws in various jurisdictions.

I didn’t apply Canadian law to anyplace but Canada. It was a general discussion and I did say I was talking about “my area” which is Ontario. On further research, I discovered there are 37 power of sale states in the US and the laws are broadly similar to Canada’s except that here, properties are sold under power of sale by realtors while in the US they are usually auctioned off on the courthouse steps. Naturally there are exceptions and variations in the laws of different states.

You may also be pleased to see that I have gone back to my old name, GL(ON) and my home province of Ontario is in my signature for all to see.

If I recall, the main point was that if a lender was selling a property under power of sale the procedure was different from a foreclosure , so the investor would need to be aware of this and govern himself accordingly.

It wasn’t me that started throwing around insults and names like Cliff Claven, or putting words in other people’s mouths, or changing the subject when I was cornered.

As far as I am concerned the whole incident is closed and if you don’t mind we won’t go into all that again.

Re: Mr. Big - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on November 27, 2006 at 19:33:05:

Do you remember who it was? I can’t recall the name but don’t think I see it anymore.

By the way I started posting to this forum in 1997 using the name GL (my initials) or GL(ON) (initials plus home province) when that was the style here. I only used the name Mr. Big for a couple of months, more or less as a gag.

Posted by GL(ON) on November 27, 2006 at 24:42:20:

Not anymore. Initially I thought with today’s generous loan terms that would be a cinch but it never happened.

As I have been doing creative real estate deals for 30 years, things like lease options and VTB mortgages don’t scare me. But I had the idea they were obsolete.

I really want to know what people are doing around the country. What works these days?

Re: drop the price - Posted by Tommy

Posted by Tommy on November 28, 2006 at 04:56:50:

there are buyers if the price is right. If your sure the price is right try some stickem in the ground signs with the address at intersections if permissable to drive more traffic.

Re: How to get rid of a house? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on November 28, 2006 at 04:39:39:

I have no desire to rehash it either, but your use of the terms the “jerk” trying to “sell courses” doesn’t start things off on a nice note. Previous to the nastiness that happened earlier during your “Mr Big” period, I had had respect for posts from GL(ON) as they seemed to be from a serious and seasoned investor.

There is something valuable about both time in the market and amount of investing. I think you said you had over 30 years experience and that can bring some insight that this forum badly needs at times. I too have over 30 years experience along with many, many millions in property and mortgage investment. Like you, I have contributed to this forum since 1997 to the tune of thousands of time consuming and informative posts given freely. I’m not just some young twit trying to sell a flakey course.

With thousands of posts, 99.9% have been pleasant, friendly and helpful, but in just a few instances they have been unpleasant when someone has attacked or insulted myself or others. Or, in a rare case it has had to do with someone promoting an idea or purported fact that is incorrect or dangerous.

I don’t think I have had any unpleasantness with anyone since dealing with you. Partially because it soured me to the prospect of giving my time as freely in any forum and also a stronger commitment to just avoid it entirely.

I don’t plan any mud wrestling with you or anyone in the future and would appreciate that you keep your derogatory comments like “jerk … selling courses” out of this forum.

If you have value to contribute, I’m glad you’re back. Your experience can be very helpful to others. Those with the perspective and insight your many years in the market give you are a great asset for people starting out.

John Behle nt - Posted by Archive Arty

Posted by Archive Arty on November 27, 2006 at 19:56:53:

:slight_smile:

Posted by GL(ON) on November 28, 2006 at 13:42:45:

I’m willing to let bygones be bygones and start fresh if you are.

Posted by GL(ON) on November 28, 2006 at 13:01:03:

I’m willing to let bygones be bygones and start fresh if you are.