How to get rid of an abondoned car - Posted by Brian (CA)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on July 16, 2002 at 21:38:16:

Look under “towing” in the yellow pages. In my area there are several advertising that they will remove abandoned cars. I don’t get anything but I don;t pay anything either. If that doesn’t work check with large apartment complexes in your area, they have to deal with the same problem. Find out how they handle it.
Joe C.

How to get rid of an abondoned car - Posted by Brian (CA)

Posted by Brian (CA) on July 16, 2002 at 16:49:18:

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I am going to be buying a mobilehome in the next couple of days that is in good shape but requires some trash removal. I have done this before but the previous tenants have a car parked under the car port with 4 flat tires. I have thought of a couple ways to handle this but was wondering if there were some better/legal ways to get rid of this car for free.

The park owner told me I could just hook it up to my truck and leave it in the street then the cops will tow it (This doesn’t sound very legal). I have also thought about getting in touch with some junk yards that sell these things for parts. I don’t have title and the people who own the car have been gone for about 6 months. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.



Re: How to get rid of an abondoned car - Posted by Tim (Atlanta)

Posted by Tim (Atlanta) on July 17, 2002 at 06:41:51:

I had this very problem last year at a duplex that I own. The police would not take it since it was not on public property. I was told that if I towed it to the street and left it, I would be cited $500 for littering. If you had seen the car you would agree that it was litter. I finally got in touch with a towing company that will take abandoned cars. I had to call 30 or so towing companies to finally find one. I found them by looking in my local newspaper at the abandoned automobile legal notices. Here in GA, you have to post a notice of an abandoned car in the local paper in order to get title. If your state is similar, find your county’s legal newspaper and look in there. You could also call shopping centers or apartment complexes and see who they deal with.