How to handle giving tenant 30 day notice? - Posted by db

Posted by Rich-CA on June 19, 2008 at 10:02:25:

but I would try and move them if they had been good tenants.

How to handle giving tenant 30 day notice? - Posted by db

Posted by db on June 18, 2008 at 15:48:46:

I have a tenant who has been in one of our apartments for two years but we need them to move because we need to move into that apartment at least temporarily. After one year their lease became month-to-month and they are current. The lease states that it can be terminated by either party with a letter giving them 30 days notice. My question is should I send a registered letter? Should I deliver it in person? What should I tell them if they ask for a reason or if they decide to fight it for some reason? Just wanting to know the best way to handle this so there are no problems. Thanks

Re: How to handle giving tenant 30 day notice? - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on June 19, 2008 at 11:00:52:

I send my tenant letters certified with return receipt.

I agree with Ed in Idaho. If your need is temporary, go to a local motel and ask if they have a monthly contract rate. Put your stuff in storage if you need to.

Kicking out your tenant deprives you of the income but creates a vacancy of undetermined length when you are ready to put the property back on the rental market. In the long run, kicking out your tenant may prove more costly than finding other temporary housing for yourself.

Why??? - Posted by Ed in Idaho

Posted by Ed in Idaho on June 19, 2008 at 07:22:22:

First what is the reason? You don’t have to answer that, just think about it for a minute. If you boot this tenant, you loose their income from that apt… If they are great tenants, and you feel that they will want to stay there for a long time, then why not go get yourself a different apt, offset by their rent. That is what you would be doing anyway. If this is just a temporary situation for you, don’t upset two families, especially since you already have a good tenant.

Now if they are problem tenants, by all means, HACK AWAY!!!

Registered - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 19, 2008 at 06:51:45:

is the only way to get proof they got the notice in case at the end of 30 days you find they have not moved and need to got to court.