How to make money from a house with no equity - Posted by Sam

Recommended cf and profit (equity) to keep deal? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 10, 2002 at 16:23:48:

JR,

This all depends on the individual and what their financial situation is at the time. If you have limited to no cash then my opinion is that it’s better to not stay in the middle of any deals until after you get your own financial house in order first. What I mean is that if you are planning to run out and do a L/O deal because you need to make a fast $5k so you can pay off some other debts you have, then you shouldn’t stay in the middle of a deal yet. You should assign or flip your deals to make your profit, so you can get in and out without taking on any on going liability, so you can use that money to take care of your other debts. Otherwise, if you stayed in the middle of a deal and spent that up front profit on other things, then how would you pay for any problems that come up? If a tenant stopped paying where you had to pay to evict them, cover payments on the property until you get them out and find someone else, pay for any damages and repairs, and pay to advertise to find someone else, where would you get the money from to do this with if you already spent all the money you got up front, and you had no other money???

If you can at least put the up front money you get away for reserves then you can start looking at staying in the middle of any deals that would make sense to keep for any cash flow and/or back end profit.

As far as what I look for, I look for a potential profit of about $20k per $100k value in a property. That could be by getting $5k up front, and the rest a combination of monthly cash flow and back end profit when the buyer cashes me out. If the back end profit is large enough then I would consider a deal with less monthly cash flow in order to get that back end profit. But I’m not going to stay in a deal with NO cash flow just to make a potential $5k - $10k on the back end in a few years where the payments are $1k per month! I’ll just take whatever I can get up front as a down payment from the buyer and take that as an assignment fee instead and assign my deal over to them and be done with it!

Ideally, on an average I like to see at least $200 + per month in cash flow with at least $10k - $15k on the back end where I got at least $5k - $10k up front to remain in the middle of a deal. These are on homes selling in my area that range from $100k - $160k.

On homes that are $100k + I want at least $5k up front from my buyer. Then the other profit can come from a combination of monthly cash flow and back end profit depending on the buyer I’m selling to. If the buyer looks good to where I can get them financing within a year or two then I would consider less monthly cash flow to keep their payments lower if need be and make it up on the back end by adjusting the purchase price.

Again, everything will vary depending on the property, the profit to be made, and the buyer’s ability to get financing as to how I would consider doing the deal. There is no one set way of doing this on every property. But in general I’m looking for at least a $20k profit to consider staying in the deal on a $100k property. Anything on a $100k + that’s a 20% profit based on FMV of the property. On a $150k property I’m looking for a $30k profit. A $200k property I’m looking for a $40k profit. The minimum to get in is $5k and the rest can be paid in the form of monthly cash flow and/or the back end profit. This is just me and what I look for. Anything less then that, then I look to get as much as I can up front as a down payment from someone and then assign my contract to them and be done with the deal! I may settle for a little less in some cases, but that is on a case by case basis depending on the buyer I would be selling to.

One more thing… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 10, 2002 at 19:31:03:

In my “opinion” if banks were ever going to pursue calling loans taken over subject to, due…NOW would be the time to do it! Do it now while the rates are low and by the time they get all these properties back through foreclosure and get them resold while they can with rates being low, then they will have recouped all this money in time and have it ready to be loaned out at the higher rates! Waiting until after the rates shoot up will cause them more problems because they will be to busy dealing with all the other problems mentioned below!

Re: Liability II - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 10, 2002 at 19:24:17:

No one can say for sure what lenders will do in the future. But people have been buying this way for years and lenders haven’t done anything about it yet, so I doubt they will anytime soon in the near future. Besides, we aren’t buying this way to hold property for long term. Most are cashed out within a few years as soon as we can get our buyers financing. So why would lenders want to mess around with it when most of these loans will be paid off in the near future anyway?

Also, what if the rates do go up a lot? So what! Do you have any idea on what it would cost these lenders to go out and investigate every property put into a land trust just to find out who the beneficiaries are? Then have to go through the foreclosure process to get the property back if the owners refuse to pay off the loans just because the lender calls them due? The lender would still have to go through the foreclosure process to get the property back just so they can resell it to get their money out of it and reloan it at the higher rates! I would think the lenders would end up taking massive losses in the end by trying to pull this off!

Then lets look at what happens if the rates do shoot up. Homes are selling at all time highs which is largely due to the rates being so low. There is so much lose money out there right now that even people with low credit scores can get financing. Many loans are being made at 90% - 100% of value and a lot of equity loans are being made above market value. Many of these homes are financed to the hilt! What happens when rates shoot up? Lending will tighten up making it hard for anyone but those with good credit being able to get loans. Higher rates mean people can’t afford to buy as much house because higher rates mean higher payments which means more people won’t qualify. Home value will probably drop because people can’t afford the payments with higher rates on those prices. That means home sales drop off leaving many people stuck with property they can’t sell because they owe more on the home than what they can sell it for. That means people losing jobs or getting transferred won’t be able to sell causing foreclosures to go through the roof. So banks are going to have their hands full dealing with a ton of REO’s where they are going to be taking big losses. So the last thing I think banks are going to be worrying about is calling perfectly good paying loans due when they have their hands full with trying to deal with all the loans they have with people defaulting on their loans and walking away from their property because they can’t sell for what they owe on them! In fact, banks would probably be glad to have anyone willing to step in and just take over payments on their defaulting loans just to save themselves from having to absorb more losses!

Of course this is only my opinion looking at this as a make sense approach VS. what some senseless crazy banker may actually do when push comes to shove. But banks are in business to make money, not lose money if they can help it!

Is 1st mo. rent added to option fee? - Posted by JR

Posted by JR on March 10, 2002 at 22:12:21:

Johnboy, thanks for the info. If you sell a home for $100K and get $5K option money from t/b, do you also get 1st mo. rent on top that as well?