How to negotiate the price-help - Posted by helen

Posted by Steve-WA on September 17, 2003 at 09:59:42:

"$8K? WHOOOWEE!
“8K is a reasonable retail price, if you can find someone with that much cash. I would probably sell it for that much myself, but on payments. But I have to be able to buy for a reasonable wholesale price. Have you considered selling it on payments, or do you need all cash? All cash? Well, if I could bring you all cash tomorrow, and take the place as it sits right now, what is the least you would accept? THAT much? WHOOOWEE! Well . . . I hope you get that, I sure would like to find a buyer with that much cash too! Good luck, and I hope you get what you want. By the way, here’s my card . . . if your situation changes, I am interested in taking it as is, so give me a call! Thanks for your time . . .”

If no nibbles, you do not have a motivated seller, but she may be soon . . . keep her number, and call back in a week or two. Not to bug her, but to stay in the front of her memory . . .

DISCLAIMER: there is a lot of nonvverbal stuff that goes along wiht this, that I can not portray nor express. This negotiation play follows along with DOW somewhat, it just takes some cojones to do this the first time . . . then it’s fun!

How to negotiate the price-help - Posted by helen

Posted by helen on September 17, 2003 at 09:44:31:

I just finished Lonnie’s book ‘DOW’,and find one 1997 dw for sale by owner. she ask $8000, and will repair it before sell. My Questions are: 1. is this a good start for newbie, becouse lonnie recommonde single wide in his book. 2.owner already want to repair it,how can i negotiate a lower price? thanks for any suggestion. Helen

Re: How to negotiate the price-help - Posted by Helen

Posted by Helen on September 22, 2003 at 11:31:07:

my computer is out of order, I have to come to the library to check this board. Yesterday, i went to see the trailer(my first time get into a mobile home).the lady told me that she had had the trailer rent-to-own 1 year ago,get 1 year rent fee,several months ago , the man stop paying, so she had the man move out,she paid the lot these 2 months. now she lives with her son in the same park. this family are doing the repair. they said it will take 2-4 weeks to get it done. it seems that the lady don’t mind to pay 1 or 2 months more lot rent.I give her my phone number and ask her call me back when they get their job done(it is relly in bad shape,wall, sink,door,closet, carpet,airconditioner,and window all need work. I am not handy woman, i never do a repair by myself before.i think i’d be better not to do in my first deal)
this is a nice park, about 80-90 trailer in it, about 10% vacant, there are 3-4 trailer with for-sell-by-owner sign on the window. we go to see another one 1995 16*80 , this one is in good condition , the owner ask 15k.
the manager told me , they will let it stay in the park if the trailer was made after 1997(include 1997).

I will keep you known on my progress. thanks a lot.
Helen

Re: How to negotiate the price-help - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 17, 2003 at 20:31:09:

Can it stay where it is?
Is the park manager ok with it?

No sense spinning your wheels unless you’re a… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 17, 2003 at 15:02:44:

…dragster.

Beore you can negotiate price you need to know value.

Value is dependent on location.

$8k would be a great price here in Southern California. It may be overpriced in Armpit, Arkansas. People from other states will find it difficult to know its value in your neck of the woods. You need to check out the retail values of several dozen other comparable mobile homes for sale in your area, to learn what it is worth. Then and only then can you know how much you can resell it for with terms. Then and only then will you know how much to offer. As a general guide you should be able to double your money if you buy for cash and sell on terms.

I think it being a doublewide would be a great bonus if it doesn’t have to be moved. I am assuming that is the case.

One more thing affects your buying decision, even more than price. Will the park manager let you play in his playground? If he doesn’t want you buying and selling in his park he will likely just not approve any buyers you bring to him. Meanwhile you could be paying space rent for a mean while.

Is the mobile occupied by the seller. If so, waiting may take a long time. If it is vacant, the space rent is eating him up like an aligator at a Sunday barbeque. Just call him back about once a month, the day before space rent is due again. He will get the idea. I wouldn’t call too often (after you have finished your initial negotiations and have failed to make a deal) because that makes you seem anxious and weakens your bargaining position.

If the seller is planning to rehab, you need to find out why. Sometimes it means they hope to sell for full retail price. In that case you many not have much luck negotiating with them. They may not be very motivated to lower the price. If on the other hand they are planning the rehab because they think it is necessary for them to be able to sell it, then I would ask for a 50% discount, if I do the repairs. That assumes that you can do the repairs for about 1/4 of the discount or so. It isn’t a hard and fast rule.

I would start negotiating at about 3-4k and not raise my price much, if any at all. Most sellers mistakenly believe, at first, that they will be able to sell at retail value, for all cash. Time, and YOU will teach them that that just isn’t going to happen.

Another factor you might want to consider is how many vacancies there are in that park, and how desireable that park is. It will be easier to resell in a nice all age park, that, accepts children and has few vacancies. If it is in a bad or age restricted park and/or there are many vacancies, then use those points as a bargaining point in your negotiations.

It sounds like you may have a good deal going, depending on how your negotiations proceed.

There are many posts in the archives offering great tips on how to negotiate mobile home deals.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. We may be able to offer more tips as you go along.

Regards, doc