How to remove water stains from ceiling. - Posted by Brian (SDCA)

Posted by DavidV on June 22, 2000 at 23:43:12:

There is also a Kilz 2 that doesn’t have the really strong odor that regular kilz does. It doesn’t cover quite as well on really dark stains but if you are in an area that is not ventilated its nice. It would probably take more than 1 coat of Kilz 2.

How to remove water stains from ceiling. - Posted by Brian (SDCA)

Posted by Brian (SDCA) on June 22, 2000 at 15:54:04:

I have a rental property that had a leaky sink in the up stairs bathroom. There is now a large spot on the down stairs ceiling. I was told that just painting over it would not work. Any ideas to cover up the stain would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

A clear sealer first - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on June 23, 2000 at 01:04:49:

I have been successfull with Kilz on walls that have graffiti, etc on it. My ceilings have the popcorn texture, so when they have water damade I first spray them with a clear sealer (from a can of spray paint). This stuff usually goes on top of paint to protect it. I then spray them with a flat white paint. I did a ceiling earlier this week and it looks good.

Re: How to remove water stains from ceiling. - Posted by george

Posted by george on June 22, 2000 at 23:49:54:

Go to home depot an look at that how to fix things book they sell. Believe it or not cutting out a square of sheet rock and replacing it is not particularly difficult.

Kilz - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on June 22, 2000 at 17:27:05:

If the sheetrock is not too soft but only discolored you can paint or spray it first with a product called Kilz. It is a white pigmented shellac and seals the area so stains do not bleed through. You will have to find a paint that matches the ceiling white as it has aged or repaint the ceiling. They also make a spray texture for the ceiling if the acoustic has been damaged. Not the easiest to use but it works.

Thanks John! - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on June 23, 2000 at 07:30:57:

I’ve tried Kilz several times and it never seemed to work well. Can’t wait to try your method.

Thanks again.

Re: Kilz - Posted by Brian (SDCA)

Posted by Brian (SDCA) on June 22, 2000 at 18:10:18:

Bud,

Thanks for the helpful input. This is my first attempt at doing my own repair work on a rental. Trying to cut costs.

Brian

Re: Kilz - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on June 23, 2000 at 08:04:05:

Brian, For small areas (less than 2 sq ft or so) I have used Kilz “upshot”. Comes in a spray can that sprays straight up and is pigmented to match “aged” ceiling white. Blends in pretty well.