how to tell good land? - Posted by Brandon MA

Posted by eric h on February 14, 2001 at 12:07:05:

i would be very careful with proceeding on this deal. if the soil doesnt perk it will probably make it difficult to develop the land. one possibility is a wisconsin mound system. very expensive and ugly. another possibilty would be an aerobic system if permitted in your area. i would contact the local health dept. or whoever permits private sewage systems in your area and they should advise you on what to do.

how to tell good land? - Posted by Brandon MA

Posted by Brandon MA on February 14, 2001 at 08:13:06:

I am going this weekend to look at a property on 10+ acres. I am only interested in the actual home that is on the property, but know of a land develeoper who may be interested(the two of us may partner up on the deal). I will not be able to contact him until next week after I have looked at the property so I am trying to obtain as much info about the property as possible. I am in the process of getting the following: the Tax assesors survey map, a wetlands map, a topographical map, the plot map and a few deeds. Is there anything else I should look for concerning the land? When I go to look at the actual house, what specifically should I look for on the grounds(not the house)? It is an all wooded lot I think. In terms of the land the realtor mentioned the land did not ‘perk’. Now I assume this has to do with how much water drains into the soil, but what does that mean in terms of developing the land? Septic cannot be put in(how about a 'tight tank?)? I also can’t imagine them ‘perking’ over 10 acres, but I don’t really know what is involved with a perk test. Can anyone enlighten me or gives me suggestions on what to look for?
Brandon_MA

Re: how to tell good land? - Posted by Jim Rayner (MA)

Posted by Jim Rayner (MA) on February 14, 2001 at 12:22:53:

Brandon here’s a link to the state regulations

http://www.state.ma.us/dep/brp/wwm/t5pubs.htm

enjoy