HUD house has lien from water co? - Posted by DJB

Posted by dutch on May 12, 2006 at 22:31:20:

Odds are he got charged a Gap charge. that’s what that is for. This is a charge the title company gets to eat.

Dutch
OKHomesavers

HUD house has lien from water co? - Posted by DJB

Posted by DJB on May 12, 2006 at 13:22:04:

I purchased a HUD house recently that needed to be totally gutted.

The water meter was disconnected and the plumbing garbage when I took possession. Imagine my surprise when I got a water bill for $100! Minimum service bill they called it, even thought usage was 0. They said that HUD never had the water service shut off. They also told me they had put a lien on the property for water bills that were not paid (before I bought it).

Now, what is the point of the title company and the $450 I paid to them? Shouldn’t they catch the lien? And should I be mad at myself of HUD for not shutting the water off?

Thanks!

Re: HUD house has lien from water co? - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 13, 2006 at 18:20:46:

sometimes the muncipalities don’t file their leins for a couple of reasons, they are slow to move, they know that the house is not going any where and they can always lein the property.

For charges before your ownership, HUD is resposnible for those bills and I bought a place where HUD did pay the water bill after settlement.

Re: HUD house has lien from water co? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on May 12, 2006 at 20:38:33:

If the lien was recorded before you closed, your title insurer should handle it for you.

–Natalie

Re: HUD house has lien from water co? - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on May 12, 2006 at 19:58:24:

Depends when the lien was filed. Could have been after the title search eas done. Remember, the state govn’t. is not the quickest of disorginizations.