HUDSection 8 ?????... - Posted by Lisa

Posted by adriana on November 24, 2000 at 20:21:31:

Hi Byron
I currently only rent to section 8 housing. First of all you need to find The housing Authority near your rental keep in mind that you have to pass an inspection for section 8 housing but its worth it what city is the rental in??

hope I can help

HUDSection 8 ???.. - Posted by Lisa

Posted by Lisa on November 24, 2000 at 17:12:32:

I am new to real estate investing and have a property to rent out. I want to rent out to Section 8 recipents. I called the general HUD number, was placed on hold for 20 minutes, and transfered several times without getting an answer. Can someone inform me of the correct office I should contact? I know the property must be inspected by HUD and they pay on the 3rd of every month. Any other helpful hints would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks so much!

P.S. This is a GREAT website!

Re: HUDSection 8 ???.. - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on November 27, 2000 at 09:30:19:

In my area the Housing Authorities are affilliated with the local cities and county. Don’t call HUD. I get my section 8 applicants from my ads, signs, as well as by being listed with the various Housing Authorities - with some on a message board and with others on a list that their clients can ask for. The HA won’t rent the unit for you; it is up to their clients to find you, schedule the inspection, etc. Do a background check - references, criminal, etc. - like you would with anyone else. I currently have Section 8 tenants in 3 of my units. Check with the HA to see what their rent limits are for your type unit to make sure that this is acceptable to you.

Re: HUDSection 8 ???.. - Posted by Byron

Posted by Byron on November 24, 2000 at 17:53:57:

While you will need to understand Section 8 rules and requirements. If you have a property ready to rent you can run an ad in your local newspaper. I’m located in Chicago and the company that administers the Section 8 program in Cook Country actally produced a Video outlining requirements to pass an inspection. Basically the process is to run an ad, find a tenant that is under the section 8 program and is qualifed for the number of bedrooms in your unit. Thaey can be qualifed for more and settle for less, but if they’re qualified for only 2 bedrooms and your apartment/house is 4 bedrooms, section 8 will only pay based on the number of bedrooms the tenant is approved for. The tenant should have what the call locally “moving papers” which you as the landlord must complete,the tenant signs and returns to section 8. A inspection is scheduled and when your unit passes you neoigate the rent. Once you are agreed on the rent the next and final step is the lease.

I’ve tried to make this as brief as possible and if you have any questions I’d be happy to try and answer them.